bad sounding bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a infinity perfect sub (not the DVC style)
right now I have it in a cheapy walmart box( want to replace BAD)
the dimentions are around 6-7 inches deep around 11-12 inches wide/tall

the amp is a powerteknique (cheapy I know) running briged at around 300 watts max.

right now when the bass plays it just sounds flabby and distorted fairly bad. also if I stand right above the sub I can almost hear it sounding like something is rattling around inside the box. I have heard this every since I hooked up speaker in the box.
as far as the amp being a cause of the distortion bad sound I have tried a few different amps and all sound the same
don't think the speaker can be blown but wonder if the box might be a nice cause of this

what dimensions/design do you think would work with this sub?

Flabby sound comes from a poor box, poor amp, or both.

I never trust "MAX" wattage ratings as being anything reliable. At the VERY LEAST, it's double the correct RMS rating, and I've seem amps with MAX ratings as much as 10 times the actual RMS power into 4 ohms. There's just no way to be sure.

That kind of distortion for your subs will kill it. It doesn't matter what the wattage rating on the sub is, with distortion like that it won't live long.

Step 1. Get a good box. If that solves the problem, then great.

If not:

Step 2. Replace the amp with something producing clean reliable power. If it hasn't solved the problem now, then replace the sub, because you've already blown it.

Use MDF. Go no less than 3/4" thick. Make all wood joints nice and tight, use good wood glue, and seal every joint with silicone. Check out Infinity's web site to find out what the recommended size is for sealed box for your sub.

In your case, why would I would go sealed? A ported enclosure is more efficient, but more complicated to build and judging by your questions (not to sound like a jerk) this will be your first box. Sealed boxes are hard to mess up. :) Also, I would bet your amp does not have provisions for a subsonic filter... which is always a good idea to have when running a ported box because you do not want to drive a sub below the tuning frequency and risk unloading the sub and damaging it. :whazzat:

One thing that has to be expressed more than anything is this: a box with a leak is like a bucket of water with holes in it. It might work for a while, but it's messy. Also, your existing box may be too thin to handle the physical action of the sub, causing it to vibrate and shake and cause it to sound like crap. MDF is the stuff to use, and the thicker the better. (To a point) Hope this helps.

Mark

p.s. My box in the Suburban has 2 Orion DVC 15's in it. My sidewalls are 1.5 inches thick, my front mounting panel is 2.25" thick, and my top plate is 3" thick. It's DEAD when it comes to vibration... even with 800 watts RMS pounding my subs.

don't worry I am not going to take your comments as being a jerk. if anything your being helpfull with your bluntness :).

the amp does have a subsonic filter on it which would help I would think.

isn't another advantage of sealed is you can use less space? for the same box.
I wouldn't have a problem building a sealed box if I can figure out the dimensions and so forth and if nothing else it can not be worse then the one I am using now plus it would come to a learning experience if I did mess something up... just lets hope not that speaker :)

but I think I will follow your advice and go sealed first then go ported from there

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.