Fuse question???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I`m getting all my stuff together for a rather large install.Well my problem is that my fuses seem to be wrong from factory.
I have 3 amps(i bought them all new) that I`m installing 2(ppi art series and an orion xtr 800) have been used in other installs but work fine,the orther is new(another oirion 800).Well it seems that the orions came with 3 30 amp fuses installed,but the owners manual said that they require 3 20 amp fuses.
I`ve tried calling orion and they are no help because they were now part of DEI.The guy actually suggested that I just buy their new products that would solve all my problems(I`m not kidding),now thats what i call coustomer service.LOL
These were not reman amps they were brought new through a Orion dealer that is no longer.So here I am ask you guys for help again.
I know that there is a formula to figgure this up to see which one it should be.

I think that was 3x 30 amp fuses!

I say run with the 30 amp fuses. If they blow, isn't it under warranty?

Just kidding. Put some 20A fuses in and see if they are enough for you.

I say that because sane listening levels might never get you past 20A for long enough to blow them.

I gave the same advice to a co-worker who had 60A fused main power line on 2000+ watts worth of amps... no negative reports yet.

I second Stocker's Idea :cool:. I installed two Kicker amps in my car, one having 2x30 and the other 2x40. thats 140 amps, but in reality I run it all through one sixty amp fuse at the battery and have had no problems. It's much safer to start low and then climb high, does less damage that way.

-NaftaliG

I think I do listen at insane levels. :hot: No trouble though. :cool:

Well, sometimes it also depends on how the amplifier is used.

e.g.: Kenwood KAC-1023 comes with 4x20A fuses, in 2Ohm mode Kenwood allows 4x25 or 30A fuses . Same thing with Hifonics Zeus GenX . In POS or bridged mode the stock 60A fuse may be replaced with an 80A fuse.

I´d also say, try the smaller fuses first. If they blow you can still upgrade them

offroadbum said:
Thanks guys!I think I`m going to run the 20`s.But i wonder why the factory put the 30`s in,oh well who knows.

I think the fuses are supposed to total at 60A. that uses 3X20A right? the manufacturer assumes you would install an external 60A fuse for the amp, since the internal fuses total 90A (on the other amp, 3X30A) the external fuse (which is easier to replace) would blow first.

just my idea..........:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.