Car audio in my bedroom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive been thinking of hooking my subbs and amp into my room. The question is what is the best way? I have 2 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L5's, a 1600 watt amp, A memphis connection thing with some other stuff, And a pioneer 50wx4 cd player. Now the question is what do i need to get this stuff running, the best and easiest way? Also could i hook my subbs and stuff up to my shelf system, putts out 460 watts but it only has one audio connection on the back of the system. Or could I somehow hook up my shelf system speakers to the subbs and cd player somehow? Im going to be gettting a set of Fishers, they are big... i was wondering if i could use those also? Please give me some deatails.. im totaly lost on the subject right now. Any information is great and links to whatever may help me is well appriciated.

At one point in time, I had a car deck installed in the headboard of my bed. (This was almost 20 years ago) but I was not running external amplifiers, just a simple 12V power supply which could supply a maximum of 8A -- more than enough for the deck, but certainly not enough for a couple of big amps. (All I was running was a couple of 5¼" speakers anyway, and I never turned it up much. -- It was basically a bedside clock radio.)

The 12V power supply is going to be your big expense, here. You can try to go with a big SMPS, but it's going to cost you close to the same as it would to go buy an amplifier that runs on AC. A cheaper alternative would be to buy an Optima deep cycle battery to run the amps, and an inexpensive battery charger to run when you're not playing the system. This will limit your play time to the capacity of the battery, but it'll cost you under $100, not including cables and wiring.

You could buy a 120 vac to 12 vdc converter which will be costly because you may need two of them depending on what they are regulated at. If you go that route what you can do is use the other stereo that you have as long as it has output audio jacks (not speaker wire) and you can plug into the amp instead of using a head unit for a car because with the head unit out of your car you have a cd player and radio but if you have some other basic stereo that comes with its own speakers usually you have a cd player, radio, tape deck, and you can plug something into an aux input like your computer so if you have music on there u can use that. I have my stereo hooked up to my computer with a crunch amplifier and two 10" blaupunkt subs with the speakers that came with my stereo. Im not sure how much the converter costs because i got it for free when i helped my grandparents clean out their garage i found it in there.

Good luck with that. - Tyler

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.