Please suggest me some car amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I have a pair of Dynaudio System 220. I'm looking for an amp that is exceptional in terms of transparency.

In the past, we drived my Dyn with Precision PCX-480 ( 80 watts/ 4 channels) but the overall sound was not impressive. It was too dark as well as too warm.

Thank a lot.

Car amps...

My personal favorites, if you can still get them (ebay?), are the reference series from soundstream. They have a high current and high voltage mode, in high current mode it's *claimed* they can dive 1/2 ohm. They are named for their total 1 ohm output, ie the reference 200 will put 100w into 1ohm per channel. While I don't know if it can really do this, it sounds pretty darn good driving 4 ohms to about 40w. They can be bridged in which case you get approx. 150w into 4 ohms, and it still sounds good. The series ran up to a 500 I think and there were versions with 4 and 5 channel outputs, all of which share the same basic amp topology, and all the ones (200, 300, 400) I tried sounded similar and pretty good, even by home amp standards.

The other thing about them is that they are low profile (<2"), and will fit under the seats of most cars, important in my case since I don't want anyone to know I have them.

Good luck

Stuart

Hi I am assuming that you have the best speakers for a reason. I would look at the following:

Celestra
Sinfoni
Brax
Tru Technology
Arc Audio
MacIntosh
Zapco
Linear Power

I have tried all of these and many others, these are all very very good amps. I have tried Dynaudio and Focal and like you guess what was a lot better? Well I hope that helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.