PPI pro mos 450 pulses when powering on

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a PPI pro mos 450 that a friend bought used then sent to me to check.

I connected the amp, and checked all four channels - seemed fine. About 30 seconds after playing, the sound cut out, and the power led started pulsing.

I can connect ground and +12V without any apparent issues, but when I connect the remote to +12V the amp just pulses with the power led flashing.

I can't see any obvious signs of damage, short circuits in power supply devices, etc.

Any ideas are appreciated, thank you.

Hello,

I carefully checked emitter resistors, and replaced all 10 outputs in the channel in which the bad outputs were found.

I reassembled the amp for a bench test.

The same symptom is occurring - when remoting the amp on, the power led just pulses (and my lamp dims like current is being drawn.)

Now I've found at least one bad output in a group on the other side of the amp.

I don't remember seeing these last time, I guess I just missed them. Is it possible to blow outputs without even connecting speakers?

I suppose I should just lift those out a see if it powers up.

You should make absolutely sure that the transistors lay perfectly flat on the heatsink. If not perfectly flat, the cover may not push them flat.The edge of the transistor can dig into the insulator and leave the transistor off of the sink (attached).

Attachments

• IMG_8734btransistordfs.jpg
    IMG_8734btransistordfs.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 34
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.