Xtant 404M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,
I've been trying to ask for help as little as possible, I tend to learn much more when I have to figure something out, but this one is something I don't understand.

When I got the amp, the power FETs were shorted out, so I replaced them.

This amplifier will show a normal signal on the power FETs when the rectifiers are out, but when they were in I get this... where it's like two or 3 waves over top of each other. When the power FETs were out, I had the same signal. I thought maybe it was the driver, so I replaced that, but clearly it didn't help.

I thought maybe someone would have seen it before or have an idea what causes it. I'm all ears!

Attachments

• PXL_20201124_011647629.jpg
    PXL_20201124_011647629.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 90
  • PXL_20201124_011632125.jpg
    PXL_20201124_011632125.jpg
    983.8 KB · Views: 102
  • PXL_20201124_011636674.jpg
    PXL_20201124_011636674.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 95
The scope isn't triggering properly. Take it off of auto, set the timebase to 10us, the vertical amplifier to 5v/div and the coupling to DC. Adjust the trigger level until it displays one single line of pulses on the base.

Change the vertical amp to 10v and then probe the drains. Readjust the trigger level is needed.

This is just above 9 volts, iirc.

So is this normal for this amplifier? When I have it at around 13v, it'll show +-25v on the rails. The rectifier wave looks so much different than the other amps I've worked on.

The amp powers up without protection coming on, but unfortunately I haven't set up a test bench in our tiny temporary apartment. I had planned on waiting until I had the amps all ready, then taking them to my shop and testing them all in a vehicle.

Attachments

• PXL_20201124_180338806.jpg
    PXL_20201124_180338806.jpg
    977.3 KB · Views: 42
Awesome, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now!

So when I had the rectifiers out, it wasn't getting any rail voltage and was commanding full pulse width to increase power, which makes for a nice wave.....correct?

Is there any "giveaways" when looking at an amplifier board as to whether or not it is regulated?

Yes. It was doing all it could to get to the target rail voltage but could not, even with full duty cycle.

Many (not all) of the amps with regulation have inductors in the secondary circuit.

The definition of 'regulated' varies. Some regulation never engages except for over-voltage situations that would cause rail caps to fail. Some regulation is minimal and may be used to make it easier to keep the bias stable at low power. Some regulation is extreme. This is seen in amps that precisely double power when the load is halved (ie, 4 ohms to 2 ohms).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.