Memphis 16-MC5.1400 Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got this amp and it was stuck in protection, replaced some outputs on the A/B portion of the amp and amp is no longer in protect. However, now the amp is maxing out my 30 amp power supply even though it’s not in protect. I removed the rectifiers for the class D section and amp draws less than a amp of current and produces clean audio on the A/B section. I checked the mosfets for class D no shorts removed driver card and found no faulty components on the board. Pictured below is the drive signal for the gates of the outputs. I wiggled the output indicators and nothing changed as far as current draw. Not sure where the issue is.

Attachments

• F725EE1B-E655-4BA0-B5DA-A7CC3C6F24F6.jpg
    F725EE1B-E655-4BA0-B5DA-A7CC3C6F24F6.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 96
Hi,

If you removed the rectifiers and the current pull is less than one amp, the problem is on the output section for sure, if it pulls 30a with the rectifiers installed.

Your oscilloscope pwm signal to the gate of the fets does not look very clean.
What is the drive signal which is coming from your pwm chip?
Can you post a photo?
Are you 100% sure your fets are okay? 30a is a lot for not having any shorts on the fets.

Last edited:
I need a schematic or somebody who has repaired one of these before to explain how the class D section of the board works. Specifically how the pwm is generated. It’s very similar to the 3S boards but is slightly different. The photo is of the signal to the output driver pads.

I found this on the thread for the 1500 watt version of this amp Memphis MC1.1500. You mentioned something about a fix for the amp but never stated exactly how to perform the fix. U4 is the 5 volt regulator and the its first pin is attached to the secondary ground of the amp.

Well... I think that this could be normal for these amps and isn't an issue when it's powered from a battery that can supply a very short, high current pulse to start the amp.

In one amp, I replaced the IRF640s with IRFB31N20Ds and that solved the 'problem'.

In the first one that I had with this problem (the 1500), I used a jfet, a cap and a resistor to delay the drive but it's a bit of a kluge so I didn't post it.

OK. This isn't the correct way to repair it. I'll consider it an experiment.

J108
Leg 1 to the base of the drivers.
Leg 2 to ground on the negative regulator
Leg 3 56k (not critical) resistor from the output of the negative regulator
0.1uF cap connected between legs 2 and 3 of the J108.

Sorry about the quality of the images.

Attachments

• DSCN4484x.jpg
    DSCN4484x.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN4507x.jpg
    DSCN4507x.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 47
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.