DC Audio 9.0K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"unless Q52 is defective. Have you checked it carefully (leakage, opens/shorts)?"

Yes, Pulled it and tested it.

"What shorted the driver ICs? I missed it if you said that the outputs failed again."

No the outputs didn't short again. I tried them on one bank and got the noise. I pulled them and tested. They were good. I tried two more in a different bank and got the noise again. Pulled them and tested. They were good. Tested the drive again and didn't have it. then it went into protect. The two driver chips that I replaced were shorted again. Don't know why. I'm very careful running tests on these things and I'm getting really good at changing the driver chips. I take a fine cutting disc on my Dremel and cut the legs at the chip. Clean the cuts legs with my iron. I use a fine bead of solder paste across the pads. All I have to do is just touch it with the iron. Then clean them up to remove any paste that might still be on there. I check them very carefully with LED light and magnifiers. You have to respect these amps. They can get away from you quick. Originally only the power supply was burned up. I rebuilt it. Checked all the outputs. No shorted outputs. Powered it up and POW! My ears rang for a few hours. I think I'm going to wind a low voltage supply every time. Just make it standard procedure on these things.

"Remove the speaker/load and only monitor the output of the amp with the scope. Does it produce audio or do you only see the signal that was causing the squeal?"

Put two outputs in one bank and test without a load. Even with it pulling current?

Answering post #44.

Doesn't make any difference. Still pulls current and squeals.

I have good input signal to all four driver chips. I'm getting feedback on the feedback pin. Good low side drive to all four output banks. No high side drive on any of the output banks. Using 9V battery on each. One at a time. Can't see what can kill the high side drive on all four driver chips. The drive goes direct to the output banks. No outputs in any banks.

If you measure the resistance on the high-side drive (4, 5, 6 below), do you read approximately the same resistance on all ICs?

What's the DC voltage (black on negative rail) on terminal 2 of the ICs?

Attachments

• checkingir21844driverIC01.png
    checkingir21844driverIC01.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 65
Good morning Perry. I all ways check the ICs using your chart after install. Checked again and yes they all read approximately the same resistance on all ICs.

Pin 2 on all ICs referenced to negative rail, 5.2 Volts.

I had a 9V battery on one of the high side output caps. Decided to put the scope on it again and had high side drive. Moved the battery to the next chip. No high side drive. Moved to the next and had high side drive. Moved to the last no high side drive. Went back to the chips I had high side drive on and no high side drive. I'm very careful hooking up the battery making sure I don't short anything. Always kill power to the amp when changing. Tried flexing the drive board to see if it would come and go. No change.

I rebuilt another driver board and I have the exact same problem. Good low side drive out of all the driver ICs. No high side drive out of all 4 ICs. 5.2 volts on pin two of all four driver ICs. Good signal on the feed back pin. Good drive on the input pin 1 of all four driver ICs.

I haven't used any from this batch in other amps.

I don't know why. I put the scope probe on the gate to the high side bank. I had a 9V battery on the high side cap. I had high side drive. I moved the battery to the next driver IC and had no drive. Moved it back to the previous IC and had no drive. I tried it on all four ICs. No high side drive. It's a mystery.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.