Kicker CX300.4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi¡
Im working on a kicker cx300.4. It turn on red then green. 4 channels plays audio but its crispy and the volume change every 8 seconds. +-15 volts in the preamp, all checked.

I change the smd cap in the control board, upper left corner, the old one had resistance (270k) and put the amp in red. I try with another tl494, lm358, pulled out ps rail caps, etc and the ps only have +-21v. Im change the irfz46 and the same thing. 4.5v on all gates.

The tl494 have a fluctuation on pin16, not goes to protect, changes between 3 and 4.5 volts. The pin 9 and 10 changes also, so the ps isnt working properly.

With the protection diodes lifted the amps turns on in red.
I try to lift 10k protection resistors on the control area and in the output section near the speaker terminals and same thing. I checked the c945 and 4401 protection circuit transistor all are ok. What voltage is normal at this diodes?

The control board have the diodes and resistors ok.

All output transistor are ok too.

Any ideas?

It looks like output protection

Lift DP7. If this allows the amp to power up, green light solid, check for DC voltage on the speaker terminals. If none check the output for audio.

What are the locator designations for the diodes and the 10K ohm resistors you refer to below?

I try to lift 10k protection resistors on the control area and in the output section near the speaker terminals and same thing. I checked the c945 and 4401 protection circuit transistor all are ok. What voltage is normal at this diodes?

Send good pics of the boards top side and a close up of the control board.

Also check for resistance between the power and speaker grounds. Should be zero, if not check RP87-0 ohm resistor.

It's possible ZD1-5.1 volt zener diode is cracked. You will find it up against the control board, buried under adhesive, which causes the diode to fail.

It looks like output protection

Lift DP7. If this allows the amp to power up, green light solid, check for DC voltage on the speaker terminals. If none check the output for audio.

What are the locator designations for the diodes and the 10K ohm resistors you refer to below?

Dp7 lifted, red light. -30 and +15 rail voltage.
10k resistors, r34, r33, r76 and r77. 1 per channel.
R83, r408, r108, r308. 1 per channel near speaker terminal.

The diodes mentioned are dp7 and d1.

All channel plays audio but distorted.

Also check for resistance between the power and speaker grounds. Should be zero, if not check RP87-0 ohm resistor.

It's possible ZD1-5.1 volt zener diode is cracked. You will find it up against the control board, buried under adhesive, which causes the diode to fail.

I cant find rp87, where is located?? 0 ohms between power and ground??? Why?

No zd nomenclature on control board. No adhesive on ot.

Pics

Attachments

• 20200922_201922.jpg
    20200922_201922.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200922_201757.jpg
    20200922_201757.jpg
    956.7 KB · Views: 59
Now its working¡ 4 speakers at rear outputs and 2 components at front output. Sound is clear and loud. Thanks a lot!

Why this resistor blown?? I bought the amp as is.

The wires are a mess, i will fix that today

Attachments

• 20200923_190330.jpg
    20200923_190330.jpg
    997.3 KB · Views: 47
Ray, The zero ohm resistor replaces what in the past would be a low value, high wattage resistor, such as a 1Kohm 1 watt and a capacitor in parallel.

The zero ohm resistor in parallel with CP31-104/c does the same task in shunting any AC component to ground. The resistor shunts any DC component and acts as a fusible link if there is excessive voltage, protecting the board and traces and any components that might be vulnerable. I see this fairly often. This is an educated guess, I would be curious if other amp manufactures use the same method.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.