Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Crazy!! Music from inside the Amplifier!!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2020, 06:07 PM   #1
Ampgutz is offline Ampgutz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Crazy!! Music from inside the Amplifier!!

I am bench testing a Skar lp-80.4 and when I turn up the gain to max I can hear music from the pcb. I have isolated it to channels 3/4. How is this possible. Something has to move 20times per sec to create sounds correct? I can clearly hear vocals! Someone help me please!!
Old 5th September 2020, 06:50 PM   #2
deChrLam is offline deChrLam  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Radio station nearby. I remember as a kid I could hear the radio in the analogue telephone
Old 5th September 2020, 06:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No, it is playing the music that I am feeding into the rca inputs
Old 5th September 2020, 06:53 PM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Many amplifiers (not just class D) can produce audible sound from various components such as power transistor etc. A Class D will have coils and filters on the output stages, all can 'sing'.
Old 5th September 2020, 07:01 PM   #5
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It could be an inductor or a class II ceramic capacitor that acts as a loudspeaker. Inductors and transformers can produce sounds due to an effect called magnetostriction (see Magnetostriction - Wikipedia ), ceramic class II capacitors due to piezoelectricity ( Piezoelectricity - Wikipedia ).

Last edited by MarcelvdG; 5th September 2020 at 07:02 PM. Reason: I asked a question that was already answered before I posted it.
Old 5th September 2020, 07:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

With the amp on and no speaker hooked up with music playing into the rca inputs it is playing the music I am inputting from the pcb on the output section of the amp. The amp is a class ab with no inductors on the output section of the amp.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th September 2020, 07:17 PM   #7
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Then this is the wrong subforum.
Old 5th September 2020, 07:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

It's a common phenomenon and I've noticed it myself. Power transistors do this but whether it is the junction itself or something mechanical* and perhaps related to how its mounted I don't know.

* ultimately something mechanical has to be occurring somewhere to move the air in relation to the electrical signals and thus produce the sound that we hear.

It is common though.
Old 5th September 2020, 07:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
Then this is the wrong subforum.
Looks like it is a car audio product Marcel. I'll move it.
Old 5th September 2020, 07:40 PM   #10
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll vote for transformer as well. This often happens when there are loose windings. It also seems to be more common in amps with regulated power supplies. Sometimes, touching the windings can make a difference.

Audio, especially vocals, is higher than 20Hz. It's more in the range of 400-1kHz.

Crazy!! Music from inside the Amplifier!!Hide this!Advertise here!