Zapco Z-2KD Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Received amp with blown power supply and outputs rebuilt PS board and tested without outputs and rail voltage was 70 volts. Rebuilt output board and amp draws excessive current and rail voltage is only 20 volts. High side and low side outputs are receiving gate signals but there is no rail to rail oscillation. It shows a small oscillation on scope then stops.

Currently waiting to hear back from Zapco now regarding service manual.

Attachments

• 4F375308-B656-453C-BC66-7A352EF42FAA.jpg
    4F375308-B656-453C-BC66-7A352EF42FAA.jpg
    1,014.3 KB · Views: 68
  • F1E4371E-942F-4AAC-A57E-6AFE8C8757D2.jpg
    F1E4371E-942F-4AAC-A57E-6AFE8C8757D2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 73
In reference to oscillation on the outputs. Before I installed all new outputs the power supply after rebuilding it was producing +-70volts for rails. I rebuilt the driver board installed new outputs and now rail voltage is only 23volts with no oscillation on the drain of the outputs and maxes out my 20 amp power supply. Im confused as to why the amp isn’t producing 70 volts for rail voltage.

The high current draw is dragging the power supply down.

Remove the outputs. Drive a 50-100Hz signal into the amp. Confirm that the drive signal is driving fully back to the rails. Bear in mind that we don't know where the rail voltage is if you don't post a photo of it along with the drive signal.

This works best, most reliably, if you load the FET locations (one per bank) with a capacitor of about 0.01uF.

For some reason I’m not able to upload the photos of the signal. I’ll keep trying but I believe the issue is between the lm211 and tl072. Before I took out the outputs the 15 volt regulators had 6 volts on them. So I removed the 5 volt regulators and the 15 volt regulators were reading like they should. I’ll try again to upload the photos.

I discovered with all outputs in if I remove Q7 & Q11 I get rail to rail oscillation on one side of the amp. And if I put in Q7 & Q11 and remove the driver transistors I have the correct signals on all pads and is identical to the side of the amplifier that is oscillating. I’ve narrowed it down to this side of the driver board and this side of amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.