Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anyone using a car audio amp in a home stereo set-up?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2020, 06:31 AM   #31
ginetto61 is offline ginetto61  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I used an MDS GP4 for my home stereo Sound was fenomenal
I used an old Xbox powersupply for it.
Paid 50 Euros for the amp and found powersupply in a dumpster. Look at facebook markedplace for car amps. People often sell them for nothing.
Cheers
Hi ! thank you very much indeed for the very useful advice.
I am not on Facebook
Anyway i will search for the products you mention right away.
Actually i have already found a guy selling an old Xbox psu ... the XBOX 360 - 1st Series - 175W (i can see 12V/14.2A on the bottom label)
I see the Xbox psu ... quite chunky Good !
I see it has a fan ... is it very noisy ? i see newer compatible ones much less noisy ?
And what about the amp in the attachments ? i should have said that i need little power ... i am using quite efficient speakers and the idea is to go with high efficiency ones So the sound can be low in power but quite clean because high efficiency speakers expose everything
They act like a magnifying glass for sonic details .... love them so much But this is another story
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4d0ef517-bcdc-4f8b-a6bb-eefe9228f9d6.jpg (35.9 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by ginetto61; 15th August 2020 at 06:49 AM.
Old 15th August 2020, 07:24 AM   #32
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

Didn't you have another supply already?

Fans can be noisy for various reasons. Velocity alone can make a huge difference. Many fans are temperature controlled so that they're only noisy when they need to move a lot of air.

Many fans become noisy as the lubricant dries out (different from the noise produced by high-velocity wind noise). Many of these can be disassembled, cleaned and relubricated.
Old 15th August 2020, 07:37 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
Didn't you have another supply already?
Hi ! yes. But it is almost open frame and with high voltage inside ... this one is sealed. Safer ?

Quote:
Fans can be noisy for various reasons. Velocity alone can make a huge difference. Many fans are temperature controlled so that they're only noisy when they need to move a lot of air.
Many fans become noisy as the lubricant dries out (different from the noise produced by high-velocity wind noise). Many of these can be disassembled, cleaned and relubricated.
thank you very much for the very helpful advice. I already opened some smps for laptops cutting the plastic case gently with a little saw for metals.
I could try the same with the Xbox 360 psu and watch inside to check the fan. Considering the size it must be very small and so very fast.
From what i understand the top should be Meanwell ? i have seen one in pro audio equipment of high price. A great endorsement i think.
I read the to Mean Well means to try to be kind and helpful, even when problems arise.
So their smps must be very good
Old 15th August 2020, 08:04 AM   #34
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

Safer? I don't know the environment. Little kinds? People poking conductive objects into the casing of the power supply?

The photo for the supply that you said you purchased has a cover but it's ventilated, not open.
Old 15th August 2020, 08:11 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
Safer? I don't know the environment. Little kinds? People poking conductive objects into the casing of the power supply?
The photo for the supply that you said you purchased has a cover but it's ventilated, not open.
Yes ! so i stick with that for now. Thank you very much for your injection of sanity ...
I am negotiating for the amp. I like its connections so much ... that is how they should be made ... i think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d3aac0d2-0840-44fb-b0e5-1b4a4244bb29.jpg (31.7 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by ginetto61; 15th August 2020 at 08:22 AM.
Old 15th August 2020, 09:09 AM   #36
The Lord Flashheart is offline The Lord Flashheart  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A small note of caution from bitter experience, try and find an amp with D.C. offset protection on the speakers as not all do and can damage speakers in the event of a fault.
Old 16th August 2020, 08:28 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lord Flashheart View Post
A small note of caution from bitter experience, try and find an amp with D.C. offset protection on the speakers as not all do and can damage speakers in the event of a fault.
Hi ! thanks a lot for the very useful advice. I would check in the datasheet if i could find it. I have bought this one attached, currently waiting to receive it. Very cheap but working. As i said above i need very little power ... i am switching to high efficiency speakers
And about load tolerance i see written on top 2 ohm stable ... a comforting statement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6000240.JPG (380.9 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by ginetto61; 16th August 2020 at 08:32 AM.
Old 16th August 2020, 08:45 AM   #38
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Congrats I hope and think its as good and probably even better than my GP4.

My Xbox supply did not have a fan. I dont have the model# Sold it cheap to a kid who wanted to do exactly what you want. I found tutorial to make it give power all the time. Maybe I could have used the amplifiers remote for this Im not sure.

Cheers!
Old 16th August 2020, 08:48 AM   #39
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

By the way. MDS AC-3 cost almost 300 Euros from new.

Cheers!
Old 16th August 2020, 08:55 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Congrats I hope and think its as good and probably even better than my GP4.
Hi ! thanks again for the suggestion. They guy says that is working Not big issue if i had to buy another one
I like JBL, Renegade ... the look i mean I know nothing about their actual quality and sound

Quote:
My Xbox supply did not have a fan. I dont have the model# Sold it cheap to a kid who wanted to do exactly what you want. I found tutorial to make it give power all the time. Maybe I could have used the amplifiers remote for this Im not sure.
Cheers!
Yes ! i will get one ... anyway i have already another one more powerful
I think i will end if the sound will be convincing with a MeanWell ... a brand i really admire
I have seen MTBF of 1069K hrs min

Anyone using a car audio amp in a home stereo set-up?Hide this!Advertise here!