Anyone using a car audio amp in a home stereo set-up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
good morning just to check if I understand how these amps work
Practically their internal power supply is made up of a dc-dc converter that takes the 12VDC input and generates the dual voltage necessary to make the amp work?
so with some modifications they could also be fed directly with a dual voltage like a normal home amp?
the reason is that there are really good deals in the car audio these days and I'm sure some of the best products can have excellent sound performance indeed
As a first approach to diy it would be much easier for me to put blocks together ... just adding a transformer a sturdy diode bridge and two decent capacitors and voila a great little power amp is done ?
I see just to say some amps from the legendary brand Fosgate at just 200USD in used equipment ... and they look really really serious.
Am I thinking of something electronically perverse?

Thanks a lot for the very helpful advice
In the meantime i was thinking why not open one and measure voltages around ? that would tell one or two things
But seriously i admire their construction ... is so neat and compact
At the shops some are put on display with plexiglass tops ... and the look is amazing .... works of electronic art.

Attachments

• 88e73346-a989-443d-9ba5-fa3b7993a9de_1.0bf00b15fa2cf118adba99249c465527.jpeg
    88e73346-a989-443d-9ba5-fa3b7993a9de_1.0bf00b15fa2cf118adba99249c465527.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited by a moderator:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:cop: Gino. Please stop quoting the entire post just above your own post. We do not do that on this forum. Recently changes were made to the forum software to make it more difficult to do so. I have cleaned up a number of your posts.

A higher power amplifier will be less efficient than a lower power amplifier. If all you will ever need is 100w, a 100w amplifier will run cooler and draw less current than a larger amplifier.

Forget about the current to the speakers. <<< Seriously! These are amplifiers that use global feedback, not tube amplifiers. If you have an amplifier that's designed to drive the load that you present to it, it will drive that load. The design engineers design amplifiers for a living and know what complex load that speakers can be.

Hi yes ! but for me it has been very important to establish that bigger does not mean necessarily also better sound quality
I am looking at high efficiency speakers ... maybe even with horn loaded mid-tweeters ... so the need of power is very limited
However i have looked at low power amps from Fosgate for instance ... usually intended to power mid and tweeters ... so i guess they have a very clean sound They are not cheap even very old ... a sign of quality i guess.
I will try this MDS ... but i am willing to buy something very good a possibly final.
Thanks a lot again. Have a nice day, gino

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi thanks for the very kind advice I got the question about the presence of a fan in the email but i don't see it here From now on i will be looking for small power stereo car amp with no big needs of Ampere but with a nice sound I have already bought another one of this Dell power supply I understand that are designed for heavy duty? I don't know about their mtbf Thanks a lot again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.