Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anyone using a car audio amp in a home stereo set-up?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2020, 10:17 PM   #131
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

2 ohm is VERY common with 'highs' amps. It's common to use two 4 ohm speakers per channel. You can even buy 2 ohm coaxials/triaxials to get full power from a single speaker.

For subs, few amps are only rated to go down to 2 ohms. Most go to 1 ohm and that's how people run them. Many run lower than safe (1/2 ohm).

Modern amps have muting circuits and should be virtually completely noise free on startup.

The amp's power rating/output has very little to do with the noise level.

The photos he posted were of a 2 channel amp that used two transistors per phase (high-side/low-side) per channel. I've never seen an amp that would mix a TIP33 and a TIP35 for a single phase. Mismatching parallel transistors is going to decrease reliability.

Last edited by Perry Babin; 15th September 2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 16th September 2020, 06:55 AM   #132
ginetto61 is offline ginetto61  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi i will take pics of the output bjts before powering it on. In the meantime i have ordered pairs of tip35c and its complement
They should fit in and be compatible with the design. I hope
Old 23rd September 2020, 03:31 PM   #133
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Bump for listening-experience as is

Cheers!
Old 24th September 2020, 06:08 AM   #134
diyAudio Member

Hi ! i got lost in another topic of a tube buffer i got. I promise at least some more pics within today However it looks like the power amp has been repaired.
I think a lot and do little ,,, but i see so many car amps thrown away by fanatics that are looking always for the more powerful one. And looking inside they look very well designed and built. And a weird idea comes to me. That is bypass the psu and use instead a classic transformer plus a diodes bridge I am even thinking of cutting the board and separate the psu from the amp circuit section. I could always get back with some thick wires as bridges between the two sections.
I will upload some more pics of the output stages. Promised.
Old 24th September 2020, 10:32 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

So you didnt listen to it yet?

Cheers!
Old 24th September 2020, 11:33 AM   #136
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
So you didnt listen to it yet? Cheers!
sorry i will report for sure ... asap
Old 25th September 2020, 07:08 PM   #137
Msr Mojo is offline Msr Mojo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetto61 View Post
Hi ! sorry if i jump in but i really need some advice on car audio amps.
First of all i have absolutely no experience with car audio.
I do not listen when i drive for safety reasons (the music distracts me a lot).
Anyway ... i see many car audio amps around ... new and used.
So i thought about using one of them as a power amp in my stereo system.
I have already bought this to power it ...

LEDMO 12V 20A Alimentatore Interruttore AC 110/240V to DC Trasformatore di Alimentazione 240W: Amazon.it: Fai da te

One thing that i like very much is the gain control that can be found on i guess all car audio amp. I have a preamp with a high gain and that attenuator could be very useful for me.
So the question is ... what to buy ? i really need only 20-30 Watt/channel but with good current
Any advice and suggestion would be very welcomed and appreciated.
Kind regards, gino
Howdy,

I used a modified Milbert BaM230 tube car audio amp using a 12V switch mode power supply and car battery, while working overseas many years back.
Had a modified (with real Black Gate caps) portable Radio Shack Optimus 3400 CD player driving it through some MIT CVT Terminator interconnects and speaker cables. Speakers were Sequerra Met 7 MkII mini monitors on top of the ends of a long furniture cabinet. Quite musical, especially with well-recorded CDs. Fairly compact system.

Another time, working stateside away from home, had the Milbert amp driven by the tiny Sony XDR-HDF1 tuner. Used some Audience 2+2 speakers on speaker stands. Great tuner. Sound was pretty good, but would've have been better with a good CD player (the Radio Shack portable died a natural death in the interim years). Not enough room to get more elaborate, set-up wise.

I would stick with home audio components when at home. There's always good used stuff available. But if you can only have one transportable system for car or home, you can certainly do it. It's a bit of trouble, but can make life much more pleasant when on the road. The Meridian F80 is a pretty nice all-in-one portable that can be used with all domestic voltages worldwide.

I'm sure a GOOD solid state car audio amp would be fine as well. Just make sure to use as good a power supply as possible. Outside of an old original ADS plate amp back in the day, I've never owned (or wanted) another one since getting a Milbert.

Happy Hunting!
Old 25th September 2020, 07:19 PM   #138
diyAudio Member

By the way, I just tried an old scrathed up VDO cd 4802 headunit that someone gave me years ago. Now it sounds like a thousand dollar stereo with blown front speakers and the original backdoor speakers. Aperently it has build in room corection even its a 2002 model. Will put in some 6x9s as subwoofers and tangband fullranges ontop of the dashboard to see how it sounds. Headunit can drive the subs,, so I will try without amplifier first.

Cheers!
Old 25th September 2020, 07:41 PM   #139
thimios is online now thimios  Greece
diyAudio Member

I'm using 1/2 of car amplifier for power supply!
Just the smps.
A 220/12V transformer, a bridge rectifier, the smps of car amplifier and a lot of amplifiers!
Poor man's power supply!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200729_204942.jpg (996.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200820_191922.jpg (686.4 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by thimios; 25th September 2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 26th September 2020, 08:55 AM   #140
diyAudio Member

Hi ! sorry for the slow replies ... i have issue with my job
anyway ... i am attaching the pics of the output stages I was surprised to see different bjts
in the meantime i have bought 5 pairs of tip35c and tip36c with the intention of replacing the ones in the amp
Is this stupid ? at least they will be identical
In my mind the output stage is 2 pairs paralleled ... am i wrong ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200926_104757.jpg (582.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200926_104807.jpg (864.0 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by ginetto61; 26th September 2020 at 08:59 AM.

Anyone using a car audio amp in a home stereo set-up?Hide this!Advertise here!