Tl494 output voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi i need to know if i can set a tl494 voltage higher on a amp as its voltage stays on 4v unloaded and drops down to 2v loaded the switching is there and voltage drop seem too extreme. It only happens when i fit the power supply fets in other than that its ok.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanks

If need be i can take a different picture during the day

Attachments

• DSC_0010-768x1023.JPG
    DSC_0010-768x1023.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 128
9v?

Do you have a scope?

Please (and this applies to anyone who needs repair help) use your sig line to list all equipment you have, editing it as equipment changes. Include the model numbers.

Top of page, menu USER CP >> EDIT SIGNATURE

Oscilloscope (yes or no)
Multimeter(s)
Type of signal source (grounded RCA shields preferred).
Soldering iron
Desoldering pump
Power supply
2 ohm current limiting resistor (hollow cylindrical ceramic 100w preferred)

No voltage drop on pin 12 and by loaded i mean output fets in the amp. Pin 12 stays at 9v no matter if i even put a 12v supply on. I will have to check the duty cycle

Supplying 12V to the controller and having it drop out at 9v the output of the said controller will have BJT buffers that will be driven from this weak 9V drive source (open collector) 200mA(Max) complementary mode, and by the time this buffered signal reaches the bank of gates (Vgs) the Vgs should be equal to 13v/12v/14v just enough for the fets to "softly saturate" as a power switch.

However:
What's interesting during power FET destruction analysis of a car amplifier the lower Vgs drive the more ohmic (linear) the mosfet device acts as a "big power resistor" P = (R * V ^2) and dissipates alot of heat eventually/instantaneously destroying the bank of power fets.

I wish manufacturers created a boost circuit of 20V (unregulated) that will force a drive signal Vgs of 15V @ 2A (regulated) throughout the life cycle of the amplifier (irrespective of battery supply voltage or aging conditions), the amplifier protection are only half measures for UVLO (under voltage lock out) by then fets are already internally damaged with parameters drifted by 30% from its spec.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.