JBL 86160-AA382....HELP NEEDED!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll attempt to be brief...I'm in need of assistance in identifying a component of the Toyota factory installed, JBL front door panel speakers in my 2003 Toyota Camry. The vehicle has a original equipment JBL system (Head unit, amp and six speakers). The original front dash & rear window deck speakers were 2.0 ohms and the front door panel were 2.9 ohms. When I removed the front door panel speakers I noticed a "white Block" that was inline between the vehicle wiring harness and the speaker via a cradle made in the original speaker bracket. I'm needing assistance in identifying this "White Block" component. I have exhausted all of my leads to find out definitively what this component is and if I need to retain it for installation of my new speakers or eliminate it. It's been suggested that it's possibly a bass blocker, a crossover or some sort of impedance matching device considering the difference between the ohms in the speakers. Any information and assistance is greatly appreciated. The speakers in question are 6x9 JBL 86160-AA382. See attached photos for reference. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Speaker 3.jpg
    Speaker 3.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Speaker 4.jpg
    Speaker 4.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 86
Perry...yes, I have a friend who has a multimeter and knows how to use it. Two problems with that though. He lives about 20 miles away and we are in a stay at home order, essential travel to & from grocery stores and health care facilities only. This project may have to wait for another day if there are no other means of identifying this part without the use of instrumentation. My limiting factors are tools & knowledge. Thanks for replying and trying to assist me.

Perry...yes, I did notice the tab at the top of the component. However, this component's outer shell is a sorta sticky, rubberized material. The opening that looks like there is a tab to press so you can open it is nothing more than a separation joint in the mold to form this component. It does not open unless I cut it open which may be counterproductive. I seriously appreciate your assistance and helpful questions in your attempt to help identify this component. As much as I'd like to get the new speakers installed and the door panels back on so I can move on to another project....this may have to be tabled until I can get a friend with a multimeter to help me. Thanks again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.