Opinions on System Setup 2012 Ram 3500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2019
Paid Member
What type of system you looking for?
I have focal 3way components and 12 inch sub in my 2016 1500 quad cab.

ben04srt,

I had listed the drivers I had (9-channels), as well as the amps I had and was wanting opinions on the best combo of those amps with the dsp to drive the speakers I'm using. After a lot of views and no responses, I figured either there was no interest or I posted in the wrong section. Even though this was under car audio, this seems to be geared more towards repair and not necessarily complete systems. I have been out of car audio for a while and was looking for opinions from folks with hopefully first hand experience with what I have.

I am having to build a amp rack for the back wall of the Ram 3500. Since the amp choices I have, depending on combination, will vary in area needed for the rack, I wanted to have an idea on how I was going to build the rack before I took the backseat out.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Also have ram 2500, 2015 model. Gonna get this Kicker's speaker Genuine Ram Speakers Front W/ Center 6x9 & 3.5" Woofer - 77kick42 | RamsAreUs but not sure if they would deliver now because of the virus. Still finding out if I should go with this or what. Hopefully, I can decide this week!

I bought a pre-made sealed box for under the rear seat, 2-10's, probably not the best, but I have kids who ride in the back so box choices were limited. I plan on running two Peerless XXLS 10's.

I've got 3.5" HATs for the dash, RF T-2652-s for the front doors, Kicker KSC6904 for the rear doors.

8 Channels from a Dayton 4x8 DSP with the rear doors running off the Head unit.

Really trying to decide if I should use 3- RF DSM amps (10 channels) or a Power 1000 25 to life (5 channel) and some combination of several DSM amps I have for the other 4 channels.:confused:

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Have the DSMs been re-capped? The 10uf@16v SMD caps were a significant problem.

Perry,
I am not sure because I bought them used. I will open them up and take a look. Some of the warranty seals seem to be intact, so I am assuming those have not.

Taking the 200ix for example, there are approximately 20 of them? RF used the same capacitors on the pre-amp boards of the Punch HDs? What about the larger capacitors, are the generally also replaced at the same time?

Thank you and I have enjoyed reading it and appreciate all the work you've put in to BCAE1 tutorial. I intend on purchasing the full version if it is still available.

Last edited:
I have not seen any of the larger caps causing problems. It was the SMD caps that were a problem. I don't remember them being an issue in the IX amps. Someone like seanekane will know if they were a problem in other amps. I only remember them as being an issue in the DSM amps.

The same caps were used on the input boards of the DSM amps. The HD driver boards also had caps that caused damage to those boards.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
After comparing the guts of the "DSM", "i" and "ix", I see what you are saying. It seems RF stopped using the vertical driver boards on the "Punch ...i" amps.

When I had read someone say "the caps had been replaced", I was curious as to which caps they were referring to. Thanks for clarifying that.

I wonder why, even though the same capacitor is used through out the amp, they only seem to cause problems on the input boards? Maybe differences related to the input boards function as opposed to the main board?:confused:

Anyway, I sent a 150HD to Jason at FCS to go through and I bought an extra board for an 45HD I have at the same time. I will have to become more efficient at replacing the caps on the other amps I have as I could not afford to send all of them out for re-capping. I at least have a bad board to practice on. Do you recommend a hot air gun or soldering gun. I have seen both used in various videos. I have a Weller WES51 but no hot air gun, yet.

The casps on the preamp board weren't the only problem. The 10uF@16 SMD caps can cause all sorts of problems and in the DSM amps, they should all be replaced.

I rarely used my hot-air station for anything other than extra heat when desoldering item with a lot of mass.

The DSM caps have long leads and can be difficult to desolder. You can use several methods to desolder them. Two soldering irons work. Applying head from underneath works. I use a light bulb to apply heat. Hot air would work but I prefer using the bulb.

I heard that Freeman's would only sell the boards now if they repaired the amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.