JL 300/2 excessive power supply duty cycle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The problem inexplicably went away:confused:
Today I powered it up to trace the circuit you posted, and there are indeed a few transistors and some diodes going back to the rails. But I noticed the power supply was actually stable and not hissing anymore, so I don’t know if I touched something and made a connection stable or I knocked away a randomly bridged component but it’s behaving for the moment. If it comes back I’ll return to this thread, I’ll start another post to repair the DC offset in the left channel.

Returning to this amplifier.

I went and rechecked pin 1 on the PS card and it’s rising slowly as the amp boots up, leveling off at around 2.9v when fully powered up meaning regulation is still working correctly. I have +/-53 on the rails.

There was +1.4v of DC offset in the left channel at powerup, so since the power supply was behaving I left it running to investigate. While checking voltages between driver cards looking for something abnormal, the DC offset disappeared and hasn’t come back since. The driver cards get pretty warm if you leave it on, so I think this is going to end up being either temperature related or possibly tin whiskers. The bus bars have visible tin whiskers on them, so it’s possible one migrated and was touching something it shouldn’t have been touching.

I’ll power it up again tomorrow and if I don’t find anything, it’s gonna get a good scrubbing and go back into the case.

These don’t say what brand they are but they seem to be working fine, the headers to the pre card we’re all flaky so I cleaned them and now it passes audio just fine. I think I’m just going to clean this thing really well and leave it idling for a day or so. If it doesn’t do anything crazy during burn in, I’ll call it good.

These the muting transistors?
(Q306 & Q406)

Attachments

• E2477B1A-FA51-4857-8311-39547893F6B4.jpg
    E2477B1A-FA51-4857-8311-39547893F6B4.jpg
    740.8 KB · Views: 47
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.