Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

JL Audio 4.300 output section question
JL Audio 4.300 output section question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2020, 11:37 PM   #1
barber02 is offline barber02  United States
diyAudio Member

Default JL Audio 4.300 output section question

I have a JL Audio 300 watt 4 channel amp in my shop with one channel shorted. The other three channels all test good.

I notice that two of the channels have dual IRF540 mosfets and the other two have one IRF540 and one NTE 2396.

The one channel that is shorted has an NTE mosfet paired with a IRF540.
Both of them tested shorted like resistors.

I was wondering if I needed to go back with an NTE (I’d have to order some at about 6 dollars a piece plus shipping) or if there was a cheaper, viable substitute for it. All of the output transistors are utilizing 100 ohm gate resistors.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by barber02; 14th January 2020 at 11:40 PM.
Old 15th January 2020, 12:06 AM   #2
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

Never use NTE parts. I don't know about now but at one time, replacements from ECG, NTE... had one part replacing multiple OEM parts. There is no way that one part can do that, especially for FETs.

The original was an IRF540.
Old 15th January 2020, 12:58 AM   #3
barber02 is offline barber02  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Perry. I had a suspicion that the NTEs were not original to the amp. I’ll go back with the 540 mosfets in both channels that have the NTEs installed.

David

JL Audio 4.300 output section questionHide this!Advertise here!