Noob audio build. £500-600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2018
I prefer a motorbike for those kind of first dates... :D

I do take issue with your contention that 2 8” subwoofers in a sealed box are all the bass one needs in a car.

It depends on the type of music one listens to, surely?

Let's put it this way......
I'm a normal type of music listener.

I don't require nor need eyeball shattering, trunk lid vibrating volume levels of bass to enjoy music.
With a 300 watt, 6 speaker, JBL factory system in the Lincoln, and the added 300 watt amp and dual subs in the trunk, I tend to think that's quite plenty.

Well... ok but don’t you ever feel the need to crank a particular track up and feel like you’re at a concert?

Peter Walker, of Quad fame, said that for any given piece of music there is a “correct” volume which most closely simulates listening to the same music live.

I’m not sure I’d agree for all types of music but I would agree with him that an orchestral bloom from the Berlin philharmoniker or Lang Lang improvising on a Steinway grand has to be reproduced at a certain level to be as emotionally engaging as live.

I read somewhere that it takes at least 300 watts to recreate the sound of a grand piano being played, am struggling to find the link though...

Also, how is one meant to enjoy something like Toccata and Fuge in D minor with subs that small?

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2018
With all due respect to Mr Flashheart....
I prefer to be in control of the vehicle that I'm driving, particularly in this day and age, with so many goonbags on the road.

And that includes being able to hear other things besides any music I choose to listen to.
Those other things include other car horns, maybe other warning noises, and if, perhaps something is odd about the car engine.
You must think I'm some fool of a child or something, needing explosive volume settings on things.
I don't.
It's annoying enough, sitting in my home, watching TV, or taking a nap and having to endure those traveling goons going down my street, blaring that crap noise.

You have to look at both sides.

When was the last time you heard of someone getting in an accident because they had loud music. I've been around this stuff for more than 30 years and have never heard of music contributing to an accident. From your statement, you would seem to think that those who are deaf shouldn't drive. What about heavily insulated cars with double pane glass and active noise cancelling?

In time, driving with loud music isn't at all distracting. It wasn't for me, anyway.

For disturbing the peace, the idiots are paying the price, literally. They have forced laws to be put in place to fine anyone with loud music and the fines can be as high as confiscation of the system for repeat offenders. Here, the first offense was $180.

With all due respect to Mr Flashheart....
I prefer to be in control of the vehicle that I'm driving, particularly in this day and age, with so many goonbags on the road.

And that includes being able to hear other things besides any music I choose to listen to.
Those other things include other car horns, maybe other warning noises, and if, perhaps something is odd about the car engine.
You must think I'm some fool of a child or something, needing explosive volume settings on things.
I don't.
It's annoying enough, sitting in my home, watching TV, or taking a nap and having to endure those traveling goons going down my street, blaring that crap noise.

I meant no offence, my apologies if I gave any.

I think that one can enjoy decently loud music and drive safely, I see I’m not the only one who takes that view. :)

I also don’t drive around residential areas playing bass heavy music, it’s only polite.

I do however like to listen to music at volumes that would not be appropriate for my neighbours.

The car is the place to do that. :)

Besides, we all started off young and antisocial, most of have grown out it. :)

I

Besides, we all started off young and antisocial, most of have grown out it. :)

Some of us..Ahem... Are still cooking. And who said loud music was antisocial? People go to concerts don't they? :D

Besides. As you get older, you made need a natural way to loosen things up before you can go to the loo when Metamucil is just not doing it anymore.

A thing about removing the piston. I thought BMW was working on Electronic valve train. Well.... That's fast enough for at least 5,600 RPM engines. And it does control Air by nature. SO.. Yea.. It would work. And it would even be and easy way to Modulate a low frequency output from subwoofer style Driver.

If that fails... Hydrogen and Oxygen would give you Killer Bass cannon effect that may be so real---Its like you WERE there! Emphasis on the past meaning of "Were there"

A cheap solenoid that is readily available that is able to do that now would be in the from of a N.O.S. or a Nitrous System solenoid. They already have the program to run those on MegaSquirt ECU's. Just modify the code and the duty cycle to model an audio signal. Its fully programmable.

Here is an example of a cylinder moving at 100hz.
YouTube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.