Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rockford BD1500 old design
Rockford BD1500 old design
Rockford BD1500 old design Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2020, 08:05 PM   #1
seankane is offline seankane  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Rockford BD1500 old design

I have this amp in for repair and its giving me issues. It came in stuck in protect and had shorted outputs in one bank.

I removed all the output FET's in the shorted bank. I changed the protection IC. I powered up with the FET's out of circuit, it powered up fine came out of protect and idled perfect.

Installed all the new FET's. Powered up and Q103 and Q26 exploded. I replaced those 2 and powered up again and both gate resistors immediately burned in half. I replaced the gate resistors and powered through a limiter and the resistors almost immediately burn up. Q103 and Q26 still test good.

All readings read normal. Any ideas why these two have issues? Could FB3 and FB16 have anything to do with this issue?
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 12th January 2020, 08:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is it possible if the 4420 was shorted it could cause this?
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 12th January 2020, 08:20 PM   #3
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

The ferrite beads don't fail unless they open.

Desolder the red/black wires on the rectifier end and touch them together to make sure that the caps are discharged.

Short pins 2 and 6 of U17 and look at the drive signals.

The gate resistors will not burn unless the FETs have failed. Viewing the drive signals as described above will allow you to see if there is high voltage or something else killing the FETs.

Confirm that there is no way for the gate circuit to short to the drain circuit.
Old 14th January 2020, 01:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Q103 and Q26 failed again. They shorted from gate to drain instead of gate to source.

I replaced them and the gate resistors and powered up through a limiter. So far everything looks ok.

I had this happen a few times before and I narrowed it down to certain batches of the IRF3415 and IRF6215 are more sensitive to heat when tinning and soldering to the MESHA board.

I used a different batch and they did not fail from installation.
Old 16th January 2020, 02:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just an update, after replacing the output FET's, and U21 the amp is working great. I also epoxied the toroid's for quiet operation.
Old 19th January 2020, 02:21 PM   #6
RockfordFIx is offline RockfordFIx  United States
diyAudio Member

Also make sure you place a small peace of Kapton tape under the corner of the switch closest to the rcas. I have had multiple issues blowing feta from the corner of switch grounding to trace/passthru on the board.
Old 19th January 2020, 05:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'll keep that in mind for the future, have never had that happen before.
Old 19th January 2020, 06:10 PM   #8
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

Off topic but wasn't there a 500 watt class AB amp that had problems with a switch on the corner of the board shorting to a trace? Rockford starting putting a piece of Kapton under it before inserting the switch.
Old 20th January 2020, 02:42 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I can't remember Perry. I have seen it on 800a2, 1000a2 and some other between the FET legs and the heat sink.

I do remember working on a Rockford amp with kapton under a switch.

I have definitely seen traces damaged from switch removal, and over soldered pins that end up touching the case of the switch.

I tend to leave the up just a bit so they will still work with the slot in the heat sink, but not rest on the traces.

Rockford BD1500 old designHide this!Advertise here!