PPI 2050AM doesn’t pass audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There should be a 2N7000 that is triggered by a 470K resistor, 1N4003 diode and a 10uf capacitor. I can't check the 5075DX because the crossover card is over the area of the opto. I am comparing my ProMOS 25 and it uses the diode/resistor/cap from +rail to control the gate of the 2N7000 to switch the opto.

So I traced the LED side of the opto back to the transistor that's controlling it, which turned out to be Q4 (a 2N7000 MOSFET). If I short the drain and source of Q4 I get clear audio on both channels, proving that the opto and JFETs in the muting circuit are good. The drain lead of Q4 goes to the opto LED which is fed voltage through a dropping resistor, source is grounded. Gate has around +.6vdc on it, which comes from the positive rail of the power supply via a pair of diodes (CR1 and CR3). So I guess the question is: is .6v enough to switch Q4 on, or is Q4 bad?

Replaced the 2N7000 and audio was restored, but I felt the gate voltage was a bit high at 3.8v. The data sheet says 3 max, so I changed the value of the bleeder resistor from gate to ground from 220k down to 150k. The gate voltage then stabilized to 2.6, and everything appears to be happy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.