Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Some troubles with my car setup...
Some troubles with my car setup...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2019, 04:40 PM   #21
kociboss is offline kociboss
diyAudio Member

yes and they were not "warmed" - straight from the box to 120W RMS - max gain for "test" As i hoped that Alpine do not lie their customers and these sets will take 120W with ease. Unfortunately not.

The player splits the Sub - i've set it for 60 or 80Hz. All under this goes to the sub from the player itself.
Old 14th November 2019, 05:13 PM   #22
miniman82 is offline miniman82  United States
diyAudio Member

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but max gain for a 'test' isn't the way to set up a system. Perhaps you were trying to see how loud it could actually play?

There are articles on how to 'tune' a system first time out, which means setting gains and so forth. But as people have said repeatedly you have to stay away from distortion and clipping. Amps don't kill speakers, DC/clipping does.
Old 14th November 2019, 05:36 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Yes that was my mistake. After i read and watched videos how perfectly matched are the X series - AMP + Speaker as well as their technical specs - it was obvious it cannot go any bad or at least not immediately. The twitter stopped working like 5-6 seconds after the MAX.
Old 14th November 2019, 06:29 PM   #24
The Lord Flashheart is offline The Lord Flashheart  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ok, so it's becoming clearer.

I think what is happening is that without a proper enclosure behind the Alpine to control excursion at the lower midbass they are distorting well before maximum power handling is reached.

I would try crossing them over higher, say at 100-125 hz, and seeing if you can play them louder without that distortion.

If this is the case the solution is to either try and build some sort of enclosure behind the speakers to a F3 of at around 70hz or get some dedicated midbasses and keep the higher crossover setting or even to cross the sub over higher to compensate.
Old 14th November 2019, 06:55 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

There is no option to switch Hz from the cross. But fortunately i have the option to use the player to do that. My max is 200hz - its same. Im loosing the bass the loudness is almost the same didnt noticed any big difference.
Old 14th November 2019, 07:34 PM   #26
The Lord Flashheart is offline The Lord Flashheart  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ok, that was unexpected...

Can you turn the volume up until you get distortion, using a 60hz test track and a AC multimeter, and measure the voltage across the amplifier speaker terminals?

That would give you an idea of how much power you putting out when distortion happens.
Old 14th November 2019, 07:54 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Im about to do such tests soon when i start setting up the things. Will let you know the outcome.

Some troubles with my car setup...Hide this!Advertise here!