Some troubles with my car setup...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yes and they were not "warmed" - straight from the box to 120W RMS - max gain for "test" :) As i hoped that Alpine do not lie their customers and these sets will take 120W with ease. Unfortunately not.

The player splits the Sub - i've set it for 60 or 80Hz. All under this goes to the sub from the player itself.

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but max gain for a 'test' isn't the way to set up a system. Perhaps you were trying to see how loud it could actually play?

There are articles on how to 'tune' a system first time out, which means setting gains and so forth. But as people have said repeatedly you have to stay away from distortion and clipping. Amps don't kill speakers, DC/clipping does.

Yes that was my mistake. After i read and watched videos how perfectly matched are the X series - AMP + Speaker as well as their technical specs - it was obvious it cannot go any bad or at least not immediately. The twitter stopped working like 5-6 seconds after the MAX.

Ok, so it's becoming clearer.

I think what is happening is that without a proper enclosure behind the Alpine to control excursion at the lower midbass they are distorting well before maximum power handling is reached.

I would try crossing them over higher, say at 100-125 hz, and seeing if you can play them louder without that distortion.

If this is the case the solution is to either try and build some sort of enclosure behind the speakers to a F3 of at around 70hz or get some dedicated midbasses and keep the higher crossover setting or even to cross the sub over higher to compensate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.