TARAMPS HD8000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Check the voltage across the speaker terminals. It should be zero or very close to zero.
Check the voltage between the ground terminal and each speaker terminal. Each one should be half the rail voltage.

If you get anything other than that, shut the amp down and check the output transistors for shorts or leakage with your multimeter on diode check. Also check the SMD diodes mounted close to the output transistors for shorts or open.

David

Just so you know...

There is a guy on YouTube Ivega Electronica that works on a lot of these amps and he seems pretty good at it. The problem for me is, I don’t understand his language. Interesting stuff none the less. Maybe you can understand some of it. I think he’s speaking Portuguese.

Taramps HD8000

I wish someone would do these videos in English for people like me who see a lot of these amps.

David

Last edited:
I tell you that maybe I have seen those videos on youtube both from Ivega and Barevids but since they are languages that I do not know I use the translator of youtube to get to understand what is explained, I only speak Spanish and a little English so that I understand you

Good morning David, answering your question about protection shows no intermittent code only turns on red, the voltages you indicated in the output section are quite close to the ones you mentioned, I remind you he only protects himself when I give volume to the team. Some kind of suggestion?

Solid red LED indicates that the output section is seeing a short circuit or the ohm load it is driving is too low for the rating of the amp.

I would monitor the voltages at the speaker terminals, the output inductors with a scope to see if you can catch what might be happening as the volume goes up. Twist and pull on the inductors as the amp is playing to see if that causes the fault. Check the caps in the output section to see if any of them are turning into resistors. Monitor the voltage across the diodes at the mosfets in the output section for changes as the volume goes up. Make sure the backs of the mosfets have insulators between them and the heat sink. Check for components heating up more than others.

Check the drive signals to the mosfets with a scope in the output section.

David

Good morning David, yesterday I realized what you told me and one of the output inductors had a false contact now the amplifier is not going to protect, thanks for your help, I just need to try a battery bank to see how it behaves because With the source I have it is not so good to test and yesterday the test began to flash the blue LED that if I remember in the manual it indicates that the battery is low, correct me if I am wrong

I had one do the same thing to me a few weeks back with good supply voltage. It had low output. Mine turned out to be a shorted diode mounted close to one of the output transistors. This one was blinking, not completely going on and off, but blinking none the less even at idle.

Now having said all of that, if the blue LED dims under a heavy load then supply voltage/current could be the issue.

David

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.