Strange in car voltage measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have experienced an odd thing today whilst measuring voltage drop in my wiring system.

I measured a voltage drop of around 200mv from battery terminal to amplifier terminal playing a 50hz sine wave through the system at something approaching full output. The total current draw I estimate to be 120 amps and so this is good.

Out of curiosity and to measure the battery/alternator systemic voltage drop at full power I put the probes of the voltmeter on the the postive and negative distribution blocks and cranked up the test tone.

To my surprise I measured ~6.5 volts DC.

Wondering if the power draw of the sinusoidal test tone was making the meter think it was measuring AC I switched it over and read ~7 volts AC.

These are impossible numbers, the amps would turn themselves off at 6.5v DC, can anyone explain what is going here please?

Is it just a limitation of the meter and if so how would I measure voltage at full power out?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.