Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hifonics Colossus X3
Hifonics Colossus X3
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2019, 03:29 PM   #21
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

The transformer is soldered in the board. Did you power it up and find a problem that you believe to be transformer related?
Old 8th October 2019, 04:04 PM   #22
Achim1409 is offline Achim1409  Germany
diyAudio Member

yes, i removed the transformer because of intermittend short. I insulated the windings, but forgot, how the windings was connected togheter to the board. I tried some options.. if i connect center taps to center board, i draws high current. The other option, is the center tap to the upper connection on bord, then it works normal, but if i measure voltage on the rectifiers, i have 0V at the inner connection, ( the inner connecteion between the to rectifiers is connected to the center conection on the bord). Ground probe at B-
Old 8th October 2019, 04:25 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure I understand the confusion. The windings typically alternate (notice gold and violet in the image below). The two in the center are typically connected together.

You could have a problem with a shorted transformer. I've only worked on one amp like this and it had 2 bad transformers that required insulation be added to the windings to save them.
Attached Images
File Type: png xfmr.png (98.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 8th October 2019, 04:26 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

yes, i expected the same as on your picture...so i will check next time aggain...
Old 9th October 2019, 05:11 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

So, i repaired the transformer with a special resin. My problem is still, that i dont know, how to bound the windings together, because i mixed during repair. On the transformer i have to secondary windings. The end of this windings i bound together as center tap. Then i have the aux winding for the op voltage. I bound them also to the center tap, and the open ends, as it was before to the diodes. I have voltage, but the fets on the side of this transformer slowly heats up, and i have no green light, as same no audio came out.

For shure i made something wrong with bounding this windings.
Old 9th October 2019, 05:26 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

If it's not drawing excessive current (peg out the power supply), I think you have it right.

I'm assuming that the aux windings have the same ratio and go to the same secondary power supply.
Old 10th October 2019, 09:44 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

I just checked aggain, i think its correct. I measure on the rectifiers for the op amps, 30V DC, but ist dropping slowly to 20V. On the OP amps i have 0V...so i have to check, whats wrong there.
Old 10th October 2019, 09:57 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

In some amps with regulated power supplies, the pulse width initially goes to near 50% then drops back as the target rail voltage is reached. That may explain why the aux supply goes high then drops and stabilizes.
Old 10th October 2019, 02:15 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Can I parallel bzx55c15 to get 1watt?
Old 10th October 2019, 04:11 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Technically, yes but if you're doing this for a paying customer, order the right parts.

Hifonics Colossus X3Hide this!Advertise here!