Hifonics Pluto VI no power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've fixed a few home and car amps over the years but they were always just in protect. Usually just some outputs. This is my first with a p/s fault. I suspect it was hooked up backwards as there was a red wire with fuse crimped to the black wire that went to "black" on the board and a blue wire crimped to the red wire that went to "red" on the board.
No led. 1.6V DC on rca. TL594CN measurements below:
1: 2.56V
2: 2.56V
3: 3.57
4: .18
5: 1.55
6: 3.5
7: 0
8: 13.8
9: .28
10: .3
11: 13.5
12: 13
13: 4.9
14: 4.9
15: 4.9
16: 0

The 2200 micro F cap measured about 4000 in circuit. I'll probably replace that anyway for good measure.

The gate leg(1) on the zrf42's were both .28Vdc
Are 42's replaceable with 44's?
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• pluto.jpg
    pluto.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 129
It looks like it may be working. What's the rail voltage?

Measure from the tab of a TIP35 to the tab of a TIP36. Don't measure from ground.

Pin 1 to pin 1? Maybe the led is just burned out? I haven't even tried a signal. I've got a scope, too. Just didn't see the led and thought I might hear some sort or relay click but don't really see any relays, either.

So father's day is over and I finally got a chance to sneak down to my lair and measured 40V on each rail. I've been going through the manual trying to figure out the behavior of the unlabeled, single led. My VIIIs had a separate power AND diagnostic leds. I'm starting to think it only comes on with a fault. I just watched a youtube video of a colossus vi and sure enough, no lights. I'm going to try it with a signal the next night or two.

Some of these amps had a transistor that was connected across the ±15v of the op-amps and during muting, the transistor was conducting. At the end of the mute delay, the transistor switched off and released the ±15v so the preamp op-amps could function normally. The transistor sometimes shorted. When only one 30v Zener was used across the op-amp supply, the Zener sometimes shorted.

Some of these amps had a transistor that was connected across the ±15v of the op-amps and during muting, the transistor was conducting. At the end of the mute delay, the transistor switched off and released the ±15v so the preamp op-amps could function normally. The transistor sometimes shorted. When only one 30v Zener was used across the op-amp supply, the Zener sometimes shorted.

I'm at work now and just going by the pic. Would said transistor be one of the small half-moon shaped(looking down from the top) ones? I see two zeners in the middle of the board adjacent to the 2nd largest electrolytics and a few more on the bottom left of my pic next to the 35C. Am I correct in thinking the 40V dc tab to tab is +/-20V and that is probably ok?
Thanks,
Steve

I don't know what the rail voltage should be but the fact that pins 1 and 2 of the 494 had the same voltage and you measure rail voltage across the outputs suggest that it's right.

Yes on your assumptions above. If you can read chicken-scratch, you may be able to see the circuit in the following mess. It's from a series 7 Zeus.

Attachments

• partial diagramb.png
    partial diagramb.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 70
Finally, I found a few moments to set up a test rig. Played and sounded great. I think I just scored a perfect amp for $30. The seller and myself expected some kind of "on" indicator and this amp has none. Now I've got a bunch of amps to test. Thanks for all the help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.