Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RCA input noise problem
RCA input noise problem
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2019, 08:34 AM   #11
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Any type of amplifer, preamp, will show hum when its inputs are disconnected because now the inputs have no source loading on them - they're "wide open".
To assume that an amp should be dead "silent" with wide open inputs is false thinking.
And bench testing of an amp with an AC powered supply, unless the supply is regulated and sufficiently filtered, will naturally be a source of background hum.
How do I know these things? - after formal electronics training and 45 years in the service business, I think I ought to know.
Old 15th June 2019, 02:26 PM   #12
barber02 is offline barber02
diyAudio Member

Well. I am a little curious as to why some amps seem to be affected by this hum and some aren’t. It’s only every so often that I get an amp with this low volume hum with both RCAs plugged in on the work bench. It’s very low volume, but it’s there. Most amps don’t seem to mind the setup that I am currently using. It could be two amps from the same manufacturer identical in every way and one will exhibit this issue and one won’t. It is curious to me. That’s why I assumed it was a problem with the amp’s input.

Thanks to all for helping me understand this issue and sharing your knowledge. I really appreciate it. There is nothing more time consuming that chasing a problem that isn’t there.

David

RCA input noise problemHide this!Advertise here!