Door speaker clearance issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I have a pair of JBL 660GTI in my doors. I installed them about 4 years ago. Recently I decided to add sound deadening to my doors. When I pulled off the door panels to apply the sound deadening, I discovered that the panel sits too close to the woofer in the door and is damaging the surrounds. I'm looking for ideas for how to create more space in front of the woofer. I think I'm probably going to have to cut the panel, but am open to other ideas.

Attachments

• 20190609_163345.jpg
    20190609_163345.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71
  • 20190608_172956.jpg
    20190608_172956.jpg
    728.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20190608_172921.jpg
    20190608_172921.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 81
Is that an enclosure behind the speaker or just an adapter?

I can see the oval-round adapter you made, consider ways to inset the speaker another half inch or so. Use a Dremel, router, even a hack saw. I used a Dremel with a 1/8" drill bit on medium slow speed, and a hack saw blade to modify those plastic things.

You'll probably have to modify your adapter, or make another adapter, possibly a two-piece, to mount the speaker back in place.

Last edited:
Is that an enclosure behind the speaker or just an adapter?

I can see the oval-round adapter you made, consider ways to inset the speaker another half inch or so. Use a Dremel, router, even a hack saw. I used a Dremel with a 1/8" drill bit on medium slow speed, and a hack saw blade to modify those plastic things.

You'll probably have to modify your adapter, or make another adapter, possibly a two-piece, to mount the speaker back in place.

Not an enclosure. It's open in the back to the door.

Contact cement glue an extra set of speaker gaskets on top of the existing ones to add thickness and separate speaker,including its foam surround, from actual panel cutout.

If unavailable or impractical to order (postage 5X the actual part cost), make your own out of EVA spongy rubber, 5 or 6 mm should be enough , maybe 8mm at most.
You just cut narrow strips , bend anf glue them over the current ones.

If you want to get fancy/sophisticated, use cork.

Just do not tighten mounting screws so much that you compress the new gasket to zero thickness ;)

I was thinking the same thing as Perry. Mount the speakers to the back side of the spacer if you can. That will give you plenty of clearance. Otherwise you have to buy an aftermarket speaker spacer that is set up for that. You may be able to modify the current spacer to accept the speaker on the back side of the spacer versus the front of the spacer.

I think they are called inset spacers or something like that.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.