Help improving stock head unit aux mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i own a Eagle Vision 1997, and the factory head unit only has cassette input and radio. Goal is to install aux inputs into the head unit, so i simply soldered a aux jack to the cassette player audio output and it works, but the results are still not as good as i want them to be, because using one phone works pretty well, but using another there is a lot of distortion even at low volume, and using a third one has a lot of noise floor, even if all of the phones perform normally on aftermarket head units. I will not be replacing the factory head unit. I am not sure what the problem is. Is the voltage coming out of the phone not high/too high or is there impedance miss match or something else? I was thinking of adding a simple preamp to increase or decrease the voltage coming in to the new made inputs, but i am not sure if that would fix the problem. In my head i would imagine that something like a DAC, only that converts analog to analog (maybe analog to digital to analog again?) would fix this problem, but i am not sure if such a thing exists, or if its practical.

Help would be appreciated.

Factory head units aren’t exactly known for having stellar S/N ratios, and you already said it works fine with one phone but not the other two. Seems obvious where the problem lies, right?

And what are you calling the tape player output, please don’t say you put RCA’s where the tape head used to be...
If so, you have an impedance mismatch and you’re overdriving the circuit for the tape head. If it really is line level (0-1v) and you’re giving it the correct level input, it is a factory HU after all. It might just be that crappy and replacement is the only solution.

The factory head unit when playing high quality cassettes is great, the head unit is of the infinity brand. When playing from that one phone (friends phone) the quality is indeed very impressive, volumes are matched, and playing at max phone volume and max head unit volume the audio is not distorted/clipped. But the two phones that i have just dont work properly. The cassette assembly had wires connecting it to the PCB, and there were written auxl and auxr on two of the pins. I did not remove the cassette assembly and playing cassettes still works flawlessly. I would just like to know if i can do something to make it work with my phones better. (I realise that phone source is not the best, but the noise present in them when connecting to my home audio gear is nowhere close to how bad it is in the car) I really wouldnt like to replace the factory head unit because it has a really good design and very high quality controls which i simply love, the audio quality of the entire Infinity Audio system in the car is great too, no complaints. The factory head unit is also not the standart size but bigger, so replacing with another head unit would just leave a hole.

So this pin exists, but there is no pin-out of it and i dont seem to find any kind of aux adapter for this specific car/head unit
HQ9Ewh3.png

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.