Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

punch 200ix excessive current draw
punch 200ix excessive current draw
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2019, 01:23 PM   #1
vincegironda is offline vincegironda
diyAudio Member

Default punch 200ix excessive current draw

I have a Punch 200ix which was pulling over 32 amps when remote applied, I checked the power supply fets which tested all good.
Next I tested the output fets and a few where out of tolerance so I pulled the lot off the board and powers up the amp, result was the amp powered up fine.

So I replaced all the irf540''s and commenced to power up the amp, unfortunately it almost immediately began drawing excessive current.

Any thoughts would be appreciated??
thanks in advance
Old 4th June 2019, 01:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

When I power it up with a 12v bulb inline in place of a fuse the amp plays clear audio on both channels at medium volume, any higher and it begins to clip
Old 4th June 2019, 01:55 PM   #3
jkrokenberger is offline jkrokenberger  United States
diyAudio Member

Check the output drivers. Also look for solder bridges. Is there any voltage across the source resistors?
Old 4th June 2019, 03:21 PM   #4
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
If the thing has over 5 or 6 years, I would change all electrolytic caps, the input and output filters (Bigger units). They may be leaked and or devaluated.
Old 4th June 2019, 06:35 PM   #5
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

My opinion but I wouldn't blindly replace the capacitors unless you have a reason to do so. I've checked caps that were about 30 years old and they were fine. I've seen some that failed in just 10 years.

Did you set the bias?

Does it draw excessive current with the bias pots set to the fully counter-clockwise position?
Old 4th June 2019, 06:42 PM   #6
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Bad caps are responsible of near 90% of the faults of electronic devices. I work repairing electronic inductial devices (Frequency converters, SMPS, CPU's, displays, touch screen, motor drivers, etc.), and the first thing we do is to replace all electrolytic units, including SMD elements. They usually fault in several ways (loose the C value, increase ESR, shortcircuit or open circuit), but clearly the worst mode of fail is when they leak the electrolyte over the PCB. Vias, tracks, resistor and including complex IC pins are corroded by the liquid conductive.

In the least symptom of doubt, replace them.

Last edited by Osvaldo de Banfield; 4th June 2019 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 4th June 2019, 06:49 PM   #7
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

Again, my opinion but in 30+ years of repairing car amps, that is what I've found to be true.

In some electronic equipment, like the flat-screen TVs of a few years back, some of the caps would fail in about a year. The HD and DSM amps had a problem with the 10uF@16 v SMD caps. Some other amps (PG, Zapco, some of the ZED amps) had problems with the primary side caps. Some of the very old Orion amps (made in the late 80's, early 90's) are now having some significant capacitor problems.

There may have been a few other common problems but capacitor problems in car amps isn't a significant problem. I don't like to see people waste time and money for nothing.
Old 6th June 2019, 12:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Perry

I turned the bias pots fully counter clockwise and the amp stopped drawing excessive current.

How can I set the correct bias on this amp?

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
My opinion but I wouldn't blindly replace the capacitors unless you have a reason to do so. I've checked caps that were about 30 years old and they were fine. I've seen some that failed in just 10 years.

Did you set the bias?

Does it draw excessive current with the bias pots set to the fully counter-clockwise position?
Old 6th June 2019, 01:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The amp plays clean audio on both channels and idles without any issues with both bias pots turned down.
I would like to set the bias to the correct setting though so any help here would be great thanks?
Old 6th June 2019, 01:50 PM   #10
barber02 is offline barber02
diyAudio Member

Everything you ever wanted to know about biasing an amplifier from class A and up. Then you will know that you know that you know.

YouTube

You are basically applying just enough voltage at the base of the transistor so that it is slightly on without generating too much heat.

Hope this helps,

David

punch 200ix excessive current drawHide this!Advertise here!