JL 250/1v2 factory defect

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This one might be beyond economical repair, but I’ll give it a shot. Came to me still in the original box, looking brand new. Inside there was carnage- it appears the factory neglected to snip a few leads from the power supply MOSFETs (which were shorted to the case), so the very first time the remote terminal saw power it exploded in dramatic fashion. Input caps all blew spewing electrolyte all over the boards, which I have cleaned with alcohol and q-tips.

The other parts that gave up I will need help with, since I can’t read what’s on them. I need the values of:

R310
R322
R331

Thanks!

Attachments

• 116593A6-257C-4835-A1C0-6E52DED8E840.jpg
    116593A6-257C-4835-A1C0-6E52DED8E840.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 157
  • DB82A30E-FA92-43B0-AE65-75BA1FC010A3.jpg
    DB82A30E-FA92-43B0-AE65-75BA1FC010A3.jpg
    992.8 KB · Views: 161
It's not perfect and requires a bit of technique to be at its best but using it correctly, you'll often have to hold the driver board so it doesn't start to fall out prematurely.

Using it will make it so that you never have trouble removing a board and will never damage a via, ever. It even works on the double-row Rockford connectors.

Know that saying “made on a Friday in Mexico”? It needs to be changed to China, cause there ain’t nothing right with this amp at all.

Started probing from input power to the terminal block that routes power to the pre card, and my wire probe isn’t getting any physical resistance when I insert it into the hole. A full 50% of those pins were broken, so I now have to replace that terminal block. Grr...

This one seems to have a pretty good mask, but I did have to scrub the pre card with alcohol and deoxit to get rid of some light copper corrosion where the SMD parts go on the board. That was from spilled electrolyte from the input caps exploding, I think I got it pretty clean.

Went and tried it again today, the standby supply comes on like it should followed by the main one. It’s odd though, the first time I apply power without the remote connected nothing happens. No current draw. If I touch the remote wire it tries to come on, but then if I remove it again the main supply refuses to shut off.

Something is overloading as well, but for the moment I’m going to ignore that symptom because I need it to turn on and off normally.

So basically the main power supply isn’t shutting off, I checked the remote terminal and there’s no voltage on it when this is happening.

Made a chart but it's pointless posting it- nearly no change from one state to the other, it seems the standby supply isn't running after all. I measured across the filter caps near the standby transformer and only got like a half a volt, so it's definitely not doing anything. Those are 50v caps, so I would have expected close to 40v on them.

I've never had to mess with the standby supply, so not sure where to begin. Looks like it's driven by a single TO220 cased transistor, I assume I can look for voltage and some sort of drive wave on that?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.