Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Orion NT6 voice coil burnt out...possible DC current the cause?
Orion NT6 voice coil burnt out...possible DC current the cause?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2019, 04:18 AM   #1
Chopperbuilder is offline Chopperbuilder  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Orion NT6 voice coil burnt out...possible DC current the cause?

I have an Orion NT6 speaker that the voice coil burnt out on. I sent the speaker to Richard at A/D/S Speaker service to have him repair it. He sent me the attached photo and said he thought DC current was likely the cause. I pulled the amp, an Orion Xtreme 800.4 and checked it but found nothing wrong with it. Any suggestions on what to check or anything I maybe over looking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orion nt.jpg (101.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 25th May 2019, 05:38 AM   #2
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

An oscillating amp can also drive that much power to a speaker. Check the shield grounds on the RCA jacks in the amp.
Old 25th May 2019, 07:50 AM   #3
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

No, that evenly toasted colour means excess power delivered to speaker, or put the other way, the speaker does not stand out the full continuous power from that amplifier.

DC on speaker shows half the coil burnt such as yours, literally ash/cinder colour, with the other half still showing brownish original enamel colour.

DC pushes coil forward or backwards,depending on DC polarity present, subwoofer coils are way longer (say 25 to 40 mm winding length) than poleplate thickness (8 to 12 mm) so the part "outside" burns while the section still inside the gap not so much.

Typical DC "half and half" colour voice coil, not your case, notice even voice coil former shows uneven heating:

Click the image to open in full size.

But yours was always moving and burnt evenly, that means Audio which is AC, simply too much of it.

Last edited by JMFahey; 25th May 2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 30th May 2019, 02:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Perry, the shield grounds on the RCA jacks checked out good.
Old 30th May 2019, 02:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

JMFahey, thanks for the info. I'm replacing the NT6's with some A/D/S 336is speakers that I have. They are rated to handle the power my amp is putting out. I was surprised but they actually sound even better.
Old 30th May 2019, 02:36 AM   #6
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

Did the tweeter survive on that channel?

If the tweeter survived, the amp probably didn't oscillate.

For future reference, for the amps similar to this Orion series, to check the shield, it's generally most definitive if you check from the RCA shield to the non-bridging speaker terminals for the RCA being checked. Push back on the RCAs while checking to break any intermittent shield connection (if there is one).
Old 8th June 2019, 03:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

This amp is dedicated to driving only the mid range speakers. I have another amp driving the tweeters and another amp driving the subs.

I double checked the amp and did so as you instructed in post #6. It checks out in perfect working order. No change when I push back on the RCA's.

Orion NT6 voice coil burnt out...possible DC current the cause?Hide this!Advertise here!