Orion NT6 voice coil burnt out...possible DC current the cause?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an Orion NT6 speaker that the voice coil burnt out on. I sent the speaker to Richard at A/D/S Speaker service to have him repair it. He sent me the attached photo and said he thought DC current was likely the cause. I pulled the amp, an Orion Xtreme 800.4 and checked it but found nothing wrong with it. Any suggestions on what to check or anything I maybe over looking?

Attachments

• Orion nt.jpg
    Orion nt.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 127
No, that evenly toasted colour means excess power delivered to speaker, or put the other way, the speaker does not stand out the full continuous power from that amplifier.

DC on speaker shows half the coil burnt such as yours, literally ash/cinder colour, with the other half still showing brownish original enamel colour.

DC pushes coil forward or backwards,depending on DC polarity present, subwoofer coils are way longer (say 25 to 40 mm winding length) than poleplate thickness (8 to 12 mm) so the part "outside" burns while the section still inside the gap not so much.

Typical DC "half and half" colour voice coil, not your case, notice even voice coil former shows uneven heating:

jbl%201815a.jpg

But yours was always moving and burnt evenly, that means Audio which is AC, simply too much of it.

Last edited:
Did the tweeter survive on that channel?

If the tweeter survived, the amp probably didn't oscillate.

For future reference, for the amps similar to this Orion series, to check the shield, it's generally most definitive if you check from the RCA shield to the non-bridging speaker terminals for the RCA being checked. Push back on the RCAs while checking to break any intermittent shield connection (if there is one).

I originally started this thread about my one of NT6's having a blown voice coil. Based on the some of the replies I received it seemed that over powering was most likely the cause of that blown voice coil.

So, I replaced the NT6's with a set of A/D/S 336is woofers as they have a higher RMS rating. Again I just found myself with another blown voice coil in one of the 336is. The 336is were not new so it is possible that the damage was already there and my system just finished it off but looking at the voice coils, I do not think that is the case. This time it was the left front that blew, last time it was the right front. I pulled both speakers and sent them to be repaired. I attached photos of both voice coils. The right 336is voice coil shows signs of over heating too.

I am driving them with an Orion Xtreme 800.4 at a 4ohm load. I find it hard to believe that amp is over powering them. I have checked the amp twice for problems but found none. There could very well be intermittent problem with the amp though and why I'm not finding it...

Anyone have any thoughts? Is it possible that if one of my RCA cables were shorting internally that it could cause it?

Attachments

• blown 336is.jpg
    blown 336is.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 31
  • blown 336is - 1.jpg
    blown 336is - 1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 21
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.