JL 1000/1v2 rebuild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rebuilding another JL, this one blew only half the power supply FETs and a rectifier. It got so hot one of the bussbars fell off the board. Reinstalled that and cleaned everything up, but what are these 4 diodes doing in the circuit? One exploded, and I removed the other to get the part number off it. Do they need to be ultra fast, or are normal diodes good enough?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2B561252-F242-4CC9-B044-D2F58D21EF7D.jpg
    2B561252-F242-4CC9-B044-D2F58D21EF7D.jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 256
I have good gate drive to all output devices and the power supply as well. Put a pair of FETs into each side of the power supply and connected the remote wire, it tries to come online but then I hear a high pitched squeal and the low volt lamp flashes. I always use a current limited power supply for troubleshooting though, so it’s possible the 5 amps I’m working with isn’t enough to get this thing through the powerup inrush surge. I’m going to try something with a bit more a$$ to it when I get home, hopefully that does the trick and I’ll be able to pass some audio through it later today.

Makes me wonder how these things blow up at all, I mean they seem designed pretty well and there's protection built into them. I don't think this one was abused at all, just looks like a random rectifier failure took it out.

RE: power supplies

If you need a good stiff power source for load testing, I figured out how to hack the converter from a Civic hybrid which gives you around 100 amps at 13VDC for power runs on large amplifiers. If I need to test something this size I'll use that and an 800 amp truck battery connected together, works pretty well and is cheaper than trying to buy a commercial supply that size.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.