Metrik MAB 901

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The original problem with the amp was the negative rail bank of power supply FETs were shorted and one dead mosfet on the positive rail bank along with one burned gate resistor on the positive rail power supply mosfet that was shorted. There was also one shorted mosfet in the output section on the positive rail. I replaced the positive rail mosfet pair in the output section with exact replacement components. I then turned my attention to the power supply.

I replaced the burned open gate resistor in the power suapply on the positive rail. The power supply mosfets were Samwin 50n06 and I have FQP 50n06 mosfets in stock but only had enough to completely replace all of the shorted power supply mosfets on the negative rail but could not replace all of the power supply mosfets on the positive rail so I just replaced the one shorted mosfet on the positive side of the power supply. So the the positive side has sw50n06 and one FQP50n06. I’m not sure if this causing my current problem.

I now have a curious problem I’m trying to work through on a Merik 1900 watt mono amp. With 12 volt positive, ground, remote, voltage applied and nothing else connected to the amp the rail voltage starts out at 45 volts positive and negative on either side and slowly drops down and settles out at 4.5 volts and just sits there. This takes about 1 minute. The amp does not go into protection. The board is installed in the heat sink. If I connect RCAs and a speaker, The amp will play music through it to a connected speaker until the rail voltage drops too low.

Does anyone have an idea as to what I am over looking?

Thanks for the help,

David

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 98
Pin 1 is 1.8 volts
Pin 2 is 3.6 volts
Pin 3 is 4.7 volts ( it’s being driven high)
Pin 4 is 0.3 volts
Pin 5 has a saw tooth wave
Pin 7 has 0.0 volts (ground)
Pin 8 has 14.2 volts
Pin 9 and 10 has no oscillation wave
Pin 11 has 14.2 volts
Pin 12 is 13.4 volts
Pin 13 is 5 volts
Pin 14 is 5 volts
Pin 15 is 5 volts
Pin 16 is 8.8 volts

Last edited:
Ok. I’m back on this amp again. My positive rail goes to about 65 vdc and my negative rail only gets to just above -50 vdc before the amp stops oscillating and the rail voltage on both sides begins to sink back down.

The protection LED never gets triggered and the green LED stays lit. Other than the music fading down as the rail voltage sinks back down, you’d never know the amp wasn’t working properly. Any ideas on what is causing the mismatch on the rail voltage?

Is this what is triggering the power supply to stop oscillating!

Throughout the amp on different points that I have checked voltages even with the power supply not oscillating and the rail voltages down below 5 volts I am reading 2 to 3 volts higher on the positive rail versus the negative rail.

David

Ok. So I pulled the rectifiers and the amp still comes on briefly and the stops oscillation and and never trips the protection LED. Then I decided to bring it up on low voltage and the power supply comes up happy and stays in oscillation. I started at 10 volts and slowly increased the volt and when the supply voltage hits about 12.6 volts the power supply stops oscillating. What gives?

David

Ok. This is the drive wave coming off of pin 9 and 10 of the TL494 with 12.3 volts of input voltage. If I go higher than 12.5 volts then the chip shuts down. This drive wave doesn’t look healthy. It’s not turning on and off fast enough in my opinion. Pin 3 goes high when I raise the input voltage and shuts the chip down.

With the chip running at 12.3 volts pin 1 is sitting at 1.48 volts and pin 2 is at 3.43 volts. Pin three sitting at .077 volts.

When I raise the voltage above 12.5 volts then pin three goes high at 4.7 volts and pin 1 is at 1.77 volts and pin 2 is at 3.44 volts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.