Taramp 10k and 15k

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently working on 2 Taramps one is a HD10000 2ohm and the other is HD 15000 1 ohm. Both have dead output sections but the power supply survived fine.

Both go into protect even with all of the output mosfets off so I'm going assume it has a bad drive circuit. On the 15k HD I took IC1 and IC2 off and it no longer goes into protect so I think they are the drive ICs but I can't find a data sheet or them for sale on mouser or anything. The part number on top is S18244BB. So here are my questions. Are these the drive ICs or am I crazy? And where can I get some new ones or what is a good replacement?

By the way the 10k has the same 2 chips in the same spot.

Attached are the requested photos. I attached the photos of the 10k the 15k HD looks exactly the same on the output section the only difference was the fets.

The 15k pulls about 2 amps which seems a little high for just idling with no output fet and no driver IC on it. but nothing is getting hot. maybe that is just because its turning 12v dc into 150 on the rails lol. I would hate to shock myself with this one.

Attachments

• 2019-04-27-134852.jpg
    2019-04-27-134852.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_20190427_133958.jpg
    IMG_20190427_133958.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_20190427_134019.jpg
    IMG_20190427_134019.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 303
When I remove the S18244BB it stops going into protect so I am guessing they are at fault.

The TL712c I was able to find the datasheet on. Before I start probing it with the scope what ground point should I use? The main ground or the RCA ground. Sorry for the noob question this is just my first amplifier to get this in depth on it.

Btw thank you so much haha. I've been reading that as a 1 this whole time which is why I couldn't find it's si8244bb

Last edited:
Just a quick update on the amplifiers. The 10k I replaced the bad zener diodes with melf 1w 15 volt, put the new fets(same as came off) and new drive ICs on it. Works good. Not seeing any issues. The 15k did the same with it and the low side fets run hot even on the heatsink. I am letting it cool back down and then I will get a reading of the drive waves. It's doing it on both sides of the amp but only on the low side.

I just wanted to give an update on on this for anyone in the future. So I got fed up on the 15k because I couldn't find anything wrong with the 15k other than in was getting burning hot really fast for no reason so I reflowed the whole output section and now it's running nice and cool so maybe I should get that microscope I want haha. Must have been a cracked solder joint.

Could you please measure the voltage across DZ1 at idle and measure the voltage out of pin 15 of the driver IC beside DR1? I’m curious to know what that voltage is compared to the amp I have. My voltage is 10.56V. I’m thinking it should be higher but Taramps is saying that the FET could be pulling it down. The rest of the driver output voltages are in the 12V range.

Taramps have a 1 year warranty. The 15k I'm working on the guy had his warranty repaired in November of 2018 and then it went up in smoke again 15 minutes after he got it back. I'm not at all saying it's their fault it did that but he doesn't want to send it to them again plus his would now be an out of warranty repair. Plus taramps puts warranty void stickers on them even though that's not legal here in the US anymore.

My amp is obviously having an intermittent problem that only wants to show up when I call it good but tonight I'll get those reading you are asking for. One I do remember from last night is that I'm only pulling 3.5amps idling and you said yours pulls like 5.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.