MMats D 2100.1 non polarized cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an MMats D2100.1 amp that I am working on. The problem with the amp is that sometimes the amp would go straight into fault protection and sometimes it would boot up fine, but would have a low frequency hum in the speaker for a couple of minutes and then the hum would go away. There is a non polarized cap at the speaker outputs and remote connection terminals that is swollen. I believe that may be the source of the hum problem that goes away after a couple of minutes.

My question is would you go back with an electrolytic as it is originally or would you go back with something different. My concern is of course low ESR issues with changes to the original design. The cap in question is a non polarized 22uf 100 volt electrolytic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    842.3 KB · Views: 71
If the resistor is in series with the cap, I doubt that the ESR of a capacitor is going to make a difference. The capacitor that's directly across the output terminals is the one that does the majority of the filtering. I'd use a film 10uf capacitor. The 667-ECQ-E2106JF from mouser (Digikey sells the same cap) is what I've used for output filters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.