Precision Power ProMos450

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for some schematics for this amp. Has issue with the rear channels. draws excessive current. The power supply fets (IRFZ34) get hot and one bank of the BTJs (2N6487)gets hot. But i cant find the reason. Nothing seems to be out of order. I have removed each transistor and checked for defects and reinstalled. Real head scratcher here. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20190416_072603.jpg
    20190416_072603.jpg
    804 KB · Views: 87
You measure the DC voltage directly across each emitter resistor.

Since there is no bias pot, biasing is likely done via transistors and thermistors. One or more may be defective. There may be a way to replace fixed resistors with the bias pots (see locations for what may be bias pots).

How much does heating/cooling the thermistors between make the idle current change?

I measured the thermisters at room temp. all were the same. in circuit were 2.7k ohm. I applied power and heat to the closest one to the bank and o change to the over current. The thermister did go down in value though. It draws over 10 amps at idle with no speakers attached. Attached is the area of issue.

Attachments

• 20190418_071318.jpg
    20190418_071318.jpg
    944.7 KB · Views: 77
i put a 10 ohm resistor across the thermister and the voltage came down to 1.8v. But the amp still draws 10+ amps. i have a current regulated power supply for testing. max current is 10 amps. I also pulled C6, C26, Q64 and replaced the 4 output transistors with new ones. The caps all checked good and Q64 checked good as well. Nothing has changed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.