Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why are the crossover frequencies so high?
Why are the crossover frequencies so high?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2019, 05:10 AM   #1
joe is offline joe  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Why are the crossover frequencies so high?

Hi,
I am looking for a speaker set to replace the speakers in my new car.
Given the high distence between the tweeter and the woofer I had expected a low x-over point to minimise interferences.
All speaker-sets I have looked at so far are crossed over rather high in 4-5 kHz range, even the more expensive ones. Why? All manufacturers seems to be doing that but what is the rational behind it? More power handling? Smaller (cheaper) capacitors for the x-over?

For this high x-over I would prefer a coax but it would be mounted quite low on the door.

Last edited by joe; 17th April 2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 17th April 2019, 06:12 AM   #2
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

But the treble is directional, it beams, so it has to be placed at ear height, the tweeter. Talking about crossover frequency, it should be reported fully...from what you say we're talking about speakers to be played fullrange but the positioning of them cuts the treble so another speaker comes to aid that loss.
The crossover is not carefully made to cut wf & tw in the ordinary manner ( lowpass 1-2-3-4 th order and HP 1-2-3-4 order to make -3dB at Fc so the two sum flat PLUS phase tracking & directivity or dispersion of both units ) but just
"supertweeter style".
Old 17th April 2019, 07:37 AM   #3
Jakobsson is offline Jakobsson  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Hi,
I am looking for a speaker set to replace the speakers in my new car.
Given the high distence between the tweeter and the woofer I had expected a low x-over point to minimise interferences.
All speaker-sets I have looked at so far are crossed over rather high in 4-5 kHz range, even the more expensive ones. Why? All manufacturers seems to be doing that but what is the rational behind it? More power handling? Smaller (cheaper) capacitors for the x-over?

For this high x-over I would prefer a coax but it would be mounted quite low on the door.
I believe that if you construct a 2way for a box speaker indoor its easier to adjust alignment of the drivers.
In a car environment that is very diffrent you would be very lucky to get good sound from a low crossover point(1.5-2Khz).
Electronic(DSP) Time alignment is the car audio way of fixing this problem.
Its difficult to adjust speaker distance and placement.
Dashboards that can fit at least 3.5" or bigger is in my opinion the best configuration together with midbass door speakers.
example(hz) sub up to 80 doors 80-250 dash 250-up
Old 17th April 2019, 07:47 AM   #4
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

Both the tweeter and midrange have to be able to produce a reasonable level of output over the frequency range they're reproducing. Not many tweeters can reproduce low frequencies at high volume.
Old 20th April 2019, 09:27 PM   #5
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Maybe because the tweeters dont have enclosures they cant play low. Placing low in door is only good for small subwoofer I think. I also believe in or on dashboard sounds better

Why are the crossover frequencies so high?Hide this!Advertise here!