Why are the crossover frequencies so high?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am looking for a speaker set to replace the speakers in my new car.
Given the high distence between the tweeter and the woofer I had expected a low x-over point to minimise interferences.
All speaker-sets I have looked at so far are crossed over rather high in 4-5 kHz range, even the more expensive ones. Why? All manufacturers seems to be doing that but what is the rational behind it? More power handling? Smaller (cheaper) capacitors for the x-over?

For this high x-over I would prefer a coax but it would be mounted quite low on the door.

Last edited:
But the treble is directional, it beams, so it has to be placed at ear height, the tweeter. Talking about crossover frequency, it should be reported fully...from what you say we're talking about speakers to be played fullrange but the positioning of them cuts the treble so another speaker comes to aid that loss.
The crossover is not carefully made to cut wf & tw in the ordinary manner ( lowpass 1-2-3-4 th order and HP 1-2-3-4 order to make -3dB at Fc so the two sum flat PLUS phase tracking & directivity or dispersion of both units ) but just
"supertweeter style".

Hi,
I am looking for a speaker set to replace the speakers in my new car.
Given the high distence between the tweeter and the woofer I had expected a low x-over point to minimise interferences.
All speaker-sets I have looked at so far are crossed over rather high in 4-5 kHz range, even the more expensive ones. Why? All manufacturers seems to be doing that but what is the rational behind it? More power handling? Smaller (cheaper) capacitors for the x-over?

For this high x-over I would prefer a coax but it would be mounted quite low on the door.

I believe that if you construct a 2way for a box speaker indoor its easier to adjust alignment of the drivers.
In a car environment that is very diffrent you would be very lucky to get good sound from a low crossover point(1.5-2Khz).
Electronic(DSP) Time alignment is the car audio way of fixing this problem.
Its difficult to adjust speaker distance and placement.
Dashboards that can fit at least 3.5" or bigger is in my opinion the best configuration together with midbass door speakers.
example(hz) sub up to 80 doors 80-250 dash 250-up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.