Taramps MD 5000.1 no power up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone I’m new to posting on this forum. I do have a question about an amp that I’m trying to repair. It is a Taramps MD 5000.1. I was told that the amp was connected to power incorrectly. I checked all of the power, and output FETs in circuit and they check fine as do all of the gate resistors. This amp has the remote wire positioned in between the two speaker terminals. After checking all of the power supply and output transistors I started checking diodes. I did find one in the remote wire circuit that has turned itself into a jumper with about 8 ohms of resistance in circuit. It is connected to pin two of what looks to be an opamp but the numbers on the chip are almost unreadable. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what the voltage and current rating is for the damaged diode and what the IC may be so I can order a new one or find a suitable equivalent. The diode in question is D21 and the chip is IC9. Best I can tell it is a Texas Instruments IC the numbers that follow are sketchy at best. I think it says 08 or 88 right after the TI logo and the second line I think it says PA40 or PA4Q or PM4Q. I placed a small black marked next to the diode. The chip appears to be shorted to ground on at least 3 legs. I have attached a photo of the area in question. The complaint with the amp is no power up.

Attachments

• 814735CF-0283-4638-9367-D23F21F94D97.jpg
    814735CF-0283-4638-9367-D23F21F94D97.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 568
I rubbed some thermal grease on IC9 to see the numbers more clearly. Can I get some help on identifying this IC. I need to source a new one or find an alternative. This IC is the first thing the remote turn on voltage sees after the diode connected to pin 2. I replaced the diode (D21) because it was shorted, now I have 13.4 volts in on pin 2 and absolutely nothing coming out of any of the other pins on this IC. Totally dead amp. No fans running and now LED action. I have + 14 volts and ground connected to power and ground terminals respectively.

Attachments

• 80A17A11-E0C1-45BC-A2B4-217A4B8E9989.jpg
    80A17A11-E0C1-45BC-A2B4-217A4B8E9989.jpg
    1,023 KB · Views: 913
Hey Perry. Just wanted to thank you for helping me with this amp. The IC you recommended worked perfectly. The Diode I replaced and the IC that was dead was all that was wrong with this amp. The amp is working perfectly now. I am curious as to how you figured out what IC would work based on the information I was able to relay.

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.