Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Taramps MD 5000.1 no power up
Taramps MD 5000.1 no power up
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2019, 04:02 PM   #1
barber02 is offline barber02
diyAudio Member

Default Taramps MD 5000.1 no power up

Hello everyone Iím new to posting on this forum. I do have a question about an amp that Iím trying to repair. It is a Taramps MD 5000.1. I was told that the amp was connected to power incorrectly. I checked all of the power, and output FETs in circuit and they check fine as do all of the gate resistors. This amp has the remote wire positioned in between the two speaker terminals. After checking all of the power supply and output transistors I started checking diodes. I did find one in the remote wire circuit that has turned itself into a jumper with about 8 ohms of resistance in circuit. It is connected to pin two of what looks to be an opamp but the numbers on the chip are almost unreadable. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what the voltage and current rating is for the damaged diode and what the IC may be so I can order a new one or find a suitable equivalent. The diode in question is D21 and the chip is IC9. Best I can tell it is a Texas Instruments IC the numbers that follow are sketchy at best. I think it says 08 or 88 right after the TI logo and the second line I think it says PA40 or PA4Q or PM4Q. I placed a small black marked next to the diode. The chip appears to be shorted to ground on at least 3 legs. I have attached a photo of the area in question. The complaint with the amp is no power up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 814735CF-0283-4638-9367-D23F21F94D97.jpg (1,004.4 KB, 123 views)
Old 9th April 2019, 10:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I rubbed some thermal grease on IC9 to see the numbers more clearly. Can I get some help on identifying this IC. I need to source a new one or find an alternative. This IC is the first thing the remote turn on voltage sees after the diode connected to pin 2. I replaced the diode (D21) because it was shorted, now I have 13.4 volts in on pin 2 and absolutely nothing coming out of any of the other pins on this IC. Totally dead amp. No fans running and now LED action. I have + 14 volts and ground connected to power and ground terminals respectively.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80A17A11-E0C1-45BC-A2B4-217A4B8E9989.jpg (1,023.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 10th April 2019, 09:38 AM   #3
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

TPS7A6601QDGNRQ1 Long shot.

Someone will likely have a better idea.
Old 10th April 2019, 04:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for taking a stab at it Perry. Much appreciated. Amazing tutorial you put together, by the way. Best money I have ever spent.

David
Old 11th April 2019, 12:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Don't forget about the files in the miscellaneousstuff folder.
Old 23rd April 2019, 01:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hey Perry. Just wanted to thank you for helping me with this amp. The IC you recommended worked perfectly. The Diode I replaced and the IC that was dead was all that was wrong with this amp. The amp is working perfectly now. I am curious as to how you figured out what IC would work based on the information I was able to relay.

David
Old 23rd April 2019, 01:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I don't remember, exactly. I generally go to the SMD codebook sites. If nothing there (I don't think there was), I'll search for something like - IC pa4q mark. Mark, as in marking or top mark.
Old 23rd April 2019, 04:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Good tip. I checked smd cookbooks too and didnít find anything either. I was wondering if I missed it somehow. Thanks for the follow up.

David
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:57 PM   #9
nonprof is offline nonprof
diyAudio Member

same problem here... i will order this part from RS.

Texas Instruments TPS7A3401DGNT
Old 11th May 2019, 01:33 AM   #10
nonprof is offline nonprof
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonprof View Post
same problem here... i will order this part from RS.

Texas Instruments TPS7A3401DGNT
sorry this is wrong.

Taramps MD 5000.1 no power upHide this!Advertise here!