Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Orion HCCA 2100 no rail voltage.
Orion HCCA 2100 no rail voltage.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM   #231
Chopperbuilder is offline Chopperbuilder  United States
diyAudio Member

To clarify answer #6: They do not heat up at all with the amp at idle no speaker connected.

Also, the emitter resistor voltage for the 6491's rising above 0.000v is and has been completely intermittent.
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #232
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

That may mean that the excessive DC offset is also intermittent.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #233
diyAudio Member

I just checked it and you are correct. The excessive DC offset is also intermittent.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #234
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

Measure the DC voltage on the two inputs and the output pin of the 5534 when excessive DC is present. Also measure when it's not present to give yourself a reference.
Old Today, 04:34 AM   #235
diyAudio Member

I believe I may have found what was causing the intermittent DC offset as well as the voltage to be above 0.000v on the left 6491 emitter resistors. The 10uf 50v cap near the 5534. I again replaced all the 10uf 50v caps on the audio side and the DC offset is now -0.043v on the left channel and +0.065v on the right channel and holding. The 6491 emitter resistors are at 0.000v and holding. The DC voltage on pin 4 of the 494 is still on the high side at +0.165v.

However the output transistors are somewhat heating up. Not just the left side but both sides and they are within a few degrees of each other. Not really driving the amp very hard, after about 4 songs the temp on the heat sink next to the clamp bars is reaching 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Not sure if that is normal for this amp but I haven't found other properly functioning Orion amps warming up that much under the same conditions.

Also the amp is intermittently shutting down. Been trying to determine the cause and the only irregularity I found when it does is the voltage on pin 4 of the 494 is above +4.0v DC.

Orion HCCA 2100 no rail voltage.Hide this!Advertise here!