Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Orion HCCA 2100 no rail voltage.
Orion HCCA 2100 no rail voltage.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2019, 11:44 PM   #141
Perry Babin is offline Perry Babin  United States
diyAudio Member

The gate voltage has to be much lower to turn the muting transistors off.
Old 5th April 2019, 12:01 AM   #142
Chopperbuilder is offline Chopperbuilder  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, I remember from the HCCA 225. I see that the circuit is very similar in this amp but it is laid out different.
Old 5th April 2019, 12:22 AM   #143
diyAudio Member

If you're going to work on a lot of these amps, you need to learn the circuits and how they work, regardless of the layout.
Old 5th April 2019, 12:24 AM   #144
diyAudio Member

That is exactly what I'm trying to do is learn the circuits and how they work.
Old 5th April 2019, 12:30 AM   #145
diyAudio Member

Schematics would be a large help.
Old 5th April 2019, 12:36 AM   #146
diyAudio Member

For the most part, for the old amps, you have to make them yourself or get them from someone who has taken the time to make them. Very few were distributed by the manufacturer at the time. If they were, they were faxed and some of the copies are multi-generation fax copies.
Old 5th April 2019, 02:30 AM   #147
diyAudio Member

Taken a step backwards. Pulled the muting transistors to see if the amp achieved full output. Not sure if it was at full output ( didn't have it powered on long enough to be sure) but it had significantly increased. Almost immediately the 6491 that was shorted before heated up and blew out.

Replaced it and then checked the emitter resisters they were all reading between 0.007v and 0.009v. I pulled all the output transistors on that side and checked them, they all tested good.
Old 5th April 2019, 04:11 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

With the lamp back in circuit on the red wire that feeds the audio circuit, all output transistors on that side pulled, the lamp very dimly illuminates.

Last edited by Chopperbuilder; 5th April 2019 at 04:15 AM.
Old 5th April 2019, 04:26 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

Do you have essentially the same DC voltage across all of the emitter resistors in that channel? The voltage across these resistors tells you where the current is flowing. That's why the higher voltage for one of the emitter resistors for one of the output transistors pointed to a problem.
Old 5th April 2019, 04:48 AM   #150
diyAudio Member

That's what I went looking for before I posted. All the output transistors on that side are still pulled out of circuit. The DC voltage across the emitter resistors is 0.000v. Before I pulled the resistors they were all between 0.007v and 0.009v.

Last edited by Chopperbuilder; 5th April 2019 at 04:56 AM.

Orion HCCA 2100 no rail voltage.Hide this!Advertise here!