Precision Power A404 transformer problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Currently working on a Precision Power A404. The transformer (see photo) was squealing and would change pitch or even stop when pushing down or twisting it. I removed it from the board and found a few abrasions on the green magnetic wire. Decided to rewind it. Just after I finished, I manged to knock it off the table onto the concrete floor which broke the core.

I don't know what the original core material is, ferrite or possibly iron powder? Does anyone have a recommendation on what core I should get to replace it with? Or even better know where I can get a transformer?

Attachments

• 20190320_162408.jpg
    20190320_162408.jpg
    996.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20190322_185847.jpg
    20190322_185847.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20190322_185853.jpg
    20190322_185853.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 73
That appears to be the inductor. The transformer is smaller and driven by the PS FETs.

If the core material is essentially all in place, it probably won't make a big difference. You may want to wrap a nylon zip tie around the perimeter to keep the segments pushed tightly to the center.

I don't know what the material is. If you can find an inductance meter (a local shop will likely have one), you can get suitable cores from somewhere like CWS Bytemark. If you give them the dimensions, the number of turns and the resulting inductance, they should be able to tell you which core you need. The material isn't critical. There will be 3-5 different materials that will work. The cheapest will have the most loss and run the hottest. The most expensive (likely molypermalloy) will be the coolest running (least loss).

I was thinking it was the inductor but my local shop was calling it a transformer when I went to buy the magnetic wire. Thought maybe I was wrong.

It broke into several pieces so I doubt a zip tie will hold it together.

I'll take it to the local shop tomorrow and have them check the inductance of it.

I greatly appreciate the info Perry.

You can probably superglue the bits back together to get an inductance reading. Get them as tightly together as possible. IT's fairly standard to use 10 turns, evenly spaced to get a reading on the inductance.

I knocked a core onto the floor and broke it a few days ago. If I think about it, I'll glue it back together and compare it to a non-broken core.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.