gain setting for car amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

i just joint this site , i wanted to know how to control gain with DMM, and somebody pls explained to me about gain how to go about it, this is my question:

1) how to setting gain on 1 gain on 2 channel amp
2) how to setting gain on 2 gain on 2 channel amp

anybody pls ?

Set the gains to where the amp reaches clipping at about 3/4 of the volume control's range.

If you want to match left and right, you can use the meter to do so.

Too many people make setting the gains far more complicated than it needs to be. There are too many variables to have one way to set them to make everyone happy.

Gain setting on car amp

Thanks Parry Babin and you are right that people make setting the gains far more complicated than it needs and that is why im keep asking and joint this forum coz still not clear how to do it.

anybody who is professional in this topic pls give me some good advice .

my question is if im using DMM to set my gain , is this the correct way:-
1) say 50w/chl x 2 chl total is 100w x 4ohm is 400 and square root of 400 is 20vac, now if the amp have 1 gain how to set it ,and if the amp have 2 gains how to set it

2) how to set gain if 2 chl amp that have 2 gains when bridge mono , or bridge mono 2 chl amp with only 1 gain

pls help it really confused me.

You can't use the voltage in the real world. Unless you have a scope, you don't know where the amp clips. Even with a scope, the voltage from the battery, the speaker load or even the frequency of the majority of the signal will make using the assumed voltage useless.

Using voltage alone to set gains almost never results in satisfactory output levels since you're generally setting the amp so that it never clips. Unless you only listen the NPR, you're never likely to have enough power to set the gains so that the amp will never clip.

When an amp is bridged, it's good to have the channels close but if they're off by a small amount, it's no big deal. In most amps with a single gain control for two channels, the gain won't track exactly.

If you want to get them exact with a dual gain amp, drive the same signal into both channels and measure the AC voltage across each channel and adjust the gains until they match.

Others should offer their opinions.

Important to see the context, i think.
Because not possible take a standard method for any situation.
It depend from the component before the amp, or the set before.

For example, the HU, or Hu + DSP, or HU + preamp + electronic crossover ecc.
Each situation have her solution, for to set the amp gain it's necessary a not too much lower signal, for to preserve the dinamic response, but not too much highest signal, for to remain out of clipping.

So it depend from the upstream signal substantially.
I agree that people make setting the gains far more complicated than it needs to be.

Thanks to all that respond to me, I only have DMM to get some idea on my gain setting so pls let know is this the way :-

Now, what I really want to know is this the way to calculate the Vac on each gain :-
1) 4 chl amp 65watt /chl with 2 gain - 1st chl 65x 2 chl = 130w x 4 ohm = 520 ,square root of 520 is 22.8vac on chl 1 gain ,so on chl 2 also 22.8vac ....pls is this the way?

2) 2 chl amp wih 2 gain bridge total 365 watt - 365w x 4 ohm= 1460vac , square root of 1460 is 38.20vac so do I need to divide 38.20vac by 2 for each gain ......19.10vac each gain .. bt if this is a 2chl amp with single gain then i just use 38.20vac......pls help

Pls whoever really know this stuff ....pls explained to me ...thanks to all again

Gain setting on car amp

Hi ,

To set the gain with DMM first you must have the VAC , this is what Perry asking me , that is why im asking is my calculation is right. I thought you all here are pro so im not mention all those thing before setting the gain like set vol all up to where no distortion , test CD that have all the hertz and all must by pass or 0 the Eq , loudness & others thing you must do before set the gain .

So is my calculation is the correct ? and pls let know after get the VAC , how to set it to amp that have 1 gain on 2 chl amp and 2 gains on 2 chl amp .

pls somebody that really know all this things pls respond.....

Settle petal.

People have tried to help you but your over thinking this.

It's a web based forum.
If we all knew the answer none of us would be here.
Were here to share information and questions.

Setting the gain is easy.
But I know you won't like my way of doing it as it doesn't involve any sort of meters or formulae.

It involves common sense and your ears.

First step is telling us what your system consists of.
Without that information, everything else is guess work.

yes what old'n'cranky said it true but the problem is i dont have such area/place to blast loud music and i also dont like the idea to push my components set speaker and subwoofer to that limit .

Im thinking all of you guys is more experience in car audio then me coz some of you guys i saw discussing here things that really advance. im just asking if any of you guys is car audio gurus.

so have all of you know that we can set amp gain by using ( DMM) digital multimeter & some simple calculation ? I already know how to calculate and do the gain setting but the only thing keep bothering me is some amp have 1 gain some 2 gains and some have 4 gains

if you guys is confuse, never mind , so am I

yes what old'n'cranky said it true but the problem is i dont have such area/place to blast loud music and i also dont like the idea to push my components set speaker and subwoofer to that limit .

Im thinking all of you guys is more experience in car audio then me coz some of you guys i saw discussing here things that really advance. im just asking if any of you guys is car audio gurus.
The case of your fear maybe with the speakers in running-in.
Otherwise the adjustment is simple: you can go out of city in any place out of the way, you listen while running and stop when adjust.

Finest regolation get in some steps in the time, with differents songs...into a day? Or two...or more.
You don' must to run with maximum SPL every day, but when you need only.
Is for to test clipping, some structures vibrations too, and levels about different amps.

You can try with a "guru", but don't exist a "guru" or a measurement better than the ears.
Is the first time that i see that request.

Gain setting on car amp

Thanks Gioba for your answered and you are right & for Old'n'Cranky why you sound angry:mad:!! this is forum to discuss about something that we dont sure or dont know right :confused:?

Gain is most important things after installing a sound system in car audio world , your sound system can be very expensive or just a normal sets but if you never set the gain properly you will never get quiet clean good soft sound, rounded sound or warm high sound ,that also if you care or you know about this things then you know how important gain setting is.

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.