Rockford Fosgate Power 300 buz10 toasted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi people,
I’ve got a Rockford Fosgate Power 300 with a burnt out Buz10 in it. I’m hoping to bring it back to life and have seen that another poster was recommended the IRFZ44 as a replacement with 100ohm gate resistors needed with it. Can anyone point me to a schematic, or even better (for an inexperienced amp guy) an idea of which resistors they are on the board so I can replace them? Id like to maintain the quality of sound not looking to upgrade so to speak, unless there’re definite upgrades worth replacing them with. Any help much appreciated, Josheep

Just so your clear, you will need to replace all the Buz10 fets in the power supply and the gate resistors, you cannot mix and match. That means you need to order at least 8 (order 10). You can remove all the old ones and old gate resistors and install one fet and resistor on each side to test before you install them all.

Thanks crazylogix, yeah I’d figured they’d all need doing. I’ve had a look on mouser and can get the IRFZ44PBF but not just the IRFZ44, I can’t see any difference in the spec sheet (to my untrained eye) would they be the ones? There seem to be loads of different versions of them, and a bunch of the straight IRFZ44 which I’m assuming are cheap copies on eBay. I’ve got a variac so can test nothing else is up once I’ve replaced the first one and resistor.

Amazing, thank you for the info and the schematic Perry. I'll get some IRFZ44's ordered up and will report back. Hopefully it's just that that's wrong with it. I found it in my dads shed where it's been for 18 or so years. I've got my fingers crossed!

Its not always wise to just replace a blown component.
Some investigation is needed into why it blew.
Maybe something downstream has blown too meaning replacing the buz will just pop it again on power up.

However you might be lucky....

Yeah I have to admit I'm nervous about other potential issues that could have caused the issue in the first place, not to mention just switching it on after such a long time without running. Would the recommendation be to change the capacitors just in case because of the age? I'm not hugely clued up on how I'd go about fault finding but would gladly have a go if there are any standard tests that I could do? Otherwise I was just gonna go ahead and see what happens.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.