Do crossovers reduce power output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
S= Stock speaker locations
N= new speaker location
HU= head unit
A= amp
C = passive crossover.

Hello guys, I'm trying to upgrade my car audio system, and I'm confused with certain ideas I have. I'm planning using C5 speakers (75 watts) and VX800i amp. The front stage originally came with 5 speakers, and I'm planning to install 7 speakers. The amp has a digital crossover that you can tune with your phone or computer.
My first plan is to wire the stock speaker wires to the amp, run 2 out puts to a passive crossover to split to midbass and tweeter and run the other 3 outputs to the speakers.
My second plan is split 2 of the preamp wiring so I have 7 channels going into the amp, and send the 7 wires to it's receiving speakers.
I'm wondering which would be better sound quality? The crossover is 75 watt RMS, and the amp outputs are 75 watts. Since the channel is splitting to go to its dedicated midbass and tweeter, I am worried that the power would be 35x2 instead of 75 and make the whole system sound uneven. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 70
I would forget the seventh "middle" speaker and wire all other speakers seperatly to the amp.
Bridge 4 of the channels for the woofers and use the 4 remaining for mid and tweeter.
Setting the crossovers correctly will take some time/testing.
If that amp has time alignment the setup could be fantastic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.